Fort Myers area Boatyard

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nirwana
deckhand
deckhand

Fort Myers area Boatyard

Post by Nirwana »

I moved my boat to Fort Myers Beach this past winter. I am planning to have the boat hauled, bottom painted, and stored during the month of September. In the past I have used Stuart Yacht, but if I can find a local boatyard that is good I will make the change for this year.

Has anyone worked with a Fort Myers area boatyard or have any familiarity with the boatyards in the area?

Tom Reese
Nirwana
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Fort Myers area Boatyard

Post by deising »

Tom,

I gather from your post that you are not interested in a DIY yard, but I will post this in case anyone else can use the info.

I was surprised to learn that none of the DIY yards near Punta Gorda could handle our beam (it missed by just a few inches). I finally found the nearest one that could haul us (only barely making their beam limit) was Glades Boat Storage which is about 9nm west of Moore Haven along the Okeechobee Waterway. That was a long boat ride and a long enough daily commute from home, but saving about $5K doing the work I needed myself made it worth it.

Good luck with your search.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

years ago we used bob & annies on pine island. don't know if it exists any more.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Flyer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Flyer »

I have hauled at the DIY yard in Punta Gorda, Riviera Marina. Very basic, but perfect for my needs.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Gulf Marine Ways ( https://www.gulfmarineways.com ) in Ft. Myers Beach can handle your PDQ- They worked on our 36.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Flyer,

I did not consider Riviera Marina as I had quite a few fellow boaters tell me to stay far away from there. I think I will visit there (close to our home) and check it out for myself when the time comes around again.

Thanks for the prompt.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
kjoverbeck
1st mate
1st mate

Post by kjoverbeck »

After a serious grounding, we were looking at options as where to take the boat. Glades said their lift was not wide enough so we went to Forest River. Very nice facility.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Glades hauled our boat just fine with inches to spare. If you insist your beam is 17 feet, then they will say no. Our beam is less than 17 feet by about 2 inches. The secondary key is whether you want a DIY yard or a full service yard where they allow no one to work on their own boats.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

River Forrest is the cleanest boat yard we have seen, owned by one of the biggest names in the marine industry. They have a pretty good bottom painting deal in their off season which is going to end pretty soon.
Bob MacNeill
Gusto 2006 34my #83