DISENGAGE TRANSMISSION AND CAN'T SHIFT STARBOARD SHIFTER AT THE LOWER HELM

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
jim
1st mate
1st mate

DISENGAGE TRANSMISSION AND CAN'T SHIFT STARBOARD SHIFTER AT THE LOWER HELM

Post by jim »

I've recently been unable to disengage the transmission at the lower helm to wash the turbo props at the lower helm. After pushing and pulling on the little knob of the starboard side of the lower helm shifter I am now unable to shift the gears on the starboard engine at the lower helm. The lower helm port engine seems to shift easily and the upper helm shifter works. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim
mckdj12
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: DISENGAGE TRANSMISSION AND CAN'T SHIFT STARBOARD SHIFTER AT THE LOWER HELM

Post by deising »

Jim,

Our 2006 model does not have any knobs on the sides of the shifter. Perhaps if you tell us what year and hull number you have, someone can help you.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

I made a mistake. There is no knob. I pull the shifter starboard lever outward. This is the combined gear and accelerator for the starboard diesel at the inside helm. I can’t shift it or accelerate. The lower port engine allows me to shift and accelerate in gear. The shifter at the upper helm works fine for both engines. The boat is an mv34 2006 with the 100 diesels.
mckdj12
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

The upper helm is slaved off the lower helm. If upper works lower should follow suit. Is there upper helm canvas that is interfering with shifting?

James
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Jim,

You should be able to take the cover off the shifter, and you can see a lot from the bottom by opening the electrical panel door wide open. I have never had need to inspect mine, but that is the first thing I would do. See if you can find something obviously wrong and go from there.

Good luck!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

I think it may be the canvas at the upper helm. I did remove the shifter cover and opened the wiring door and followed the cables to the transmission s and they all looked fine. I know I didn't remove the canvas over the upper helm the last time I tried. I don’t remember the previous times. I’ll double check. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Jim
mckdj12
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

Thanks again guys! You’re the best. I removed the helm canvas that covers the shifter and other instruments and the lower helm shifts like a hot blade through butter! Jim
mckdj12
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

I hope James and Duane received my last post thanking them. The problem was the upper helm canvas. Jim
mckdj12
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Hello all,

Just looking at this thread. I have a 2005 M/V 68. As far as I can tell, I cannot increase RPM in neutral. If I want to increase RPM, I have to be in gear. I will look again as soon as this next tropical storm passes. If there are no owners out there that have this issue, I assume that I am just an idiot and need to scratch my head a little. If any of you have this setup, let me know. I would like to modify/change this. I cannot clean turbos, check alternator output, etc at the dock.

Tim
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Hi, all,

Just wanted to say that sometimes my email notifications of new responses gets put in spam at the ISP level and I don't see them unless I really dig beyond my normal routine. Glad it all worked out.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

As you all probably know, I needed a little experimentation on this. Was not too obvious, and the shifter was stiff to pull out, but I was able to rev up in neutral. I think all PDQs work this way.