Sleeping in the salon?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Sleeping in the salon?

Post by Wbr2974 »

I have a newer style salon with the rounded couch 2005.
My question is ,, Does anyone ever put the table down and sleep there?
I tried it for the first time today and it’s like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces missing. I know the older style makes a very nice bed but it doesn’t seem like the cushions make anything even resembling a bed.. I thought it might be nice to get out of the aft cabin for more air and room every once in a while. Am I missing something?
Anyone have a picture they could share or just how exactly the cushions are supposed to go?

Thanks as always,
Bill
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Sleeping in the salon?

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bill, our salon bed works great. It did take improving the quality of the foam (made it denser) in the seat cushions and the two cushions used to cover the table portion of the bed. I have uploaded 2 pictures. Let me know if you don't see them and I'll send them to you.
Attachments
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

Mac,

Thanks a million.. I always wondered what those
two odd shaped cushions I had in the back were for.
It all makes perfect sense now.
I was trying to make it work using
just the seats and backs...
Thanks again...

Bill
My 34 075
Chateaux
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bill,

I'll add that it REALLY made a difference when we had the cushions upgraded last year to a higher quality, denser foam. It is much more comfortable sitting at the salon table. The denser foam especially helps on the lower helm seat... rather than raise the entire seat to improve visibility, the denser foam elevated the sitting position enough to make it much more effective. The old foam in the helm chair would constantly bottom out (pardon the pun) when operating in rougher choppy water.

We also replaced the entire upper helm double seat about 2 years ago with the same model. That seat has firm foam and is very comfortable for long hours.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Sailing version, but same answer. Using the seat back cushions does not work, but making custom fillers does. Then we covered the whole thing with a mattress topper, to even things up. The topper rolls up small enough.

We used it in hot weather when we could not run the AC; better ventilation than the aft cabins.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html