Gas Oven Installation on our PDQ 34'

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
PBCarter
deckhand
deckhand

Gas Oven Installation on our PDQ 34'

Post by PBCarter »

We're considering adding a propane oven in the galley of our PDQ 34 where the original microwave was installed. The only model we've found so far that we believe will fit is the Eno Perigord Wall-Mount Propane Oven. Force 10 has a new model that appears to be a bit better made, but unfortunately it's too tall for that area. Does anyone have experience installing a propane oven onboard? What make and model did you use? How did you handle venting?
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Gas Oven Installation on our PDQ 34'

Post by Expatriate »

I installed the ENO Perigord Gourmet version. It fit fine, but I think my installation could have been better. I notched the lower molding so that the little rubber feet would go through. On second thought, I should have removed the little feet and put a layer of something or two strips of something non-skid underneath. Probably are several ways to do this. In any case, it has not moved an inch.

I worried about venting. The unit came with a "chimney" that bolts on the back and, as it turned out, ended up almost directly under the existing vents in the wood surface above the stove. Still, I thought it might get too hot, but after baking something for an hour at a high temperature there was no problem. The wood probably got to about 120 degrees at most, not even hot to touch. The oven is about two inches narrower than the opening. If it is installed all the way to the right, the chimney lines up in an even better location.

Make sure the shipper includes the gas fittting adapter or you may end up going all over town looking for a 10 millimeter left handed pipe fitting like I did. I just Teed off the two burner cook top with no trouble. If you are worried about gas fittings, install everything except the T fitting and call a gas guy. I have not used the oven and cook top at the same time, but it should be fine.

The gourmet version has a broiler burner on top. I have not yet used it. The gourmet version was also supposed to be thermostatically controlled instead of manual like a Force Ten. That does not appear to be the case. It just has numbers 1 through 9. I thought that if I set the temperature to a "number" that the number would translate to a temperature and it would cycle off and on to maintain that temperature. I have yet to see that happen, but I do not stand there and watch it. I use an infrared thermometer to check temperature, but I am too impatient to wait for the temperature to stabilize.

We do not bake a lot, but that convection microwave was a mystery. On the ENO, we have baked a cut up chicken several times, pizza comes out fine, and casseroles were fine also. So far we have no big complaints except that the owners manual is nearly useless. Nothing new there.

Good luck.

Tim
M/V Expatriate 068
PBCarter
deckhand
deckhand

Post by PBCarter »

Thanks Tim. Did you create and install a trim around the oven to cover the opening on the side? Any photos to share? Besides the gas connection we assume there's a need for power to the unit for the electronic ignition, correct? Any issues with that in your install?

Appreciate the tip on the feet, the fittings and the vent...we saw the vent and weren't sure if the "chimney" needed special venting. Did you happen to install a vent fan anywhere in the "cavity" to help dissipate the heat? Disappointing that it isn't thermostatically controlled as advertised.

I hear you about the manual. I've been in contact with Force 10 (part of the Eno Groupe) who sent me the install specs. They are confusing and in French and even translating it didn't help. Haven't yet been able to connect with them to get more clarification.

The "concept" of a micro/convection is pretty nice on the surface and was probably an 850 or 900W Micro on board to begin with. But the corresponding power draw is upwards of 1200W and the convection oven cycle consumes substantially more power than that. We can't figure out why the PDQ folks thought that was a good idea unless you wanted to run the genset or engines (or rapidly deplete the batteries) whenever you wanted to bake something. The thought of running the engines (we don't have a genset) for an hour while baking chicken or brownies is not appealing!

In fact, when we purchased our PDQ the previous owner had already replaced the convection microwave with a 1250watt Panasonic microwave. That wattage is way too much of a hit on the batteries if not on shore power or running the engine despite the instructions previous owner left behind to run at 80% power when off shore power. The good news was the Micro had Inverter technology that uses a constant power draw instead of the cycling on and off of most microwaves at reduced power settings. Bad news is that it was still too much of a power grab. We now have a 700W microwave as a stop gap until we can figure out how to install the Eno oven next winter.

Look forward to hearing anything else you can add. Thanks again for your comments!
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I ran out of time so I did not modify the trim. Did not want to miss a season in the Bahamas. Probably hire a carpenter for the trim. The electronic ignition is powered by a AA battery in a holder connected to the oven by unnecessarily long wires, probably three feet. It is just lying in there next to the oven. Did not install an exhaust fan, and it still seems unnecessary.

I too have been looking for a very small microwave. Have not seen anything under 600 Watts. Cannot determine where to put it. I could install it just where the steps go up from the galley. The back of the microwave would protrude into that big locker, but I think not too much. I could just put it In the locker which would be more flexible. Big holes in the boat are hard to change!

If I find a suitable microwave, I will share.

Tim
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I ran out of time so I did not modify the trim. Did not want to miss a season in the Bahamas. Probably hire a carpenter for the trim. The electronic ignition is powered by a AA battery in a holder connected to the oven by unnecessarily long wires, probably three feet. It is just lying in there next to the oven. Did not install an exhaust fan, and it still seems unnecessary.

I too have been looking for a very small microwave. Have not seen anything under 600 Watts. Cannot determine where to put it. I could install it just where the steps go up from the galley. The back of the microwave would protrude into that big locker, but I think not too much. I could just put it In the locker which would be more flexible. Big holes in the boat are hard to change!

If I find a suitable microwave, I will share.

Tim
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Sorry about the double post. Response in the Bahamas is hard to figure. If this appology shows up twice, I give up!

Tim
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Unless you have a pure sine inverter, many microwaves do not run well. This may explain some of the problems.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Well, I have performed the acid test on the ENO oven chimney/vent installation. We baked a big coffee cake for breakfast because we are sitting in the rain waiting for the weather to improve and had plenty of time. Not going anywhere not even ashore.

The coffee cake came out of the oven at about 8:30 AM and I forgot to turn the oven off. The cool rainy weather kept the boat cool so we did not notice the extra heat inside. I went to the galley for a beer at 2 PM and noticed it and turned it off. Probably used a gallon of propane.

First thing I did was check the existing vent area over the oven that was there for the old convection microwave. It was a little warmer than it had been the first time I baked something for an hour, but not too hot to touch. So it is definitely not a problem. I also checked the interior temp. With the control set on three out of nine I had 330 degrees according to my infrared thermometer. So it looks like 350 or so is what I get no matter what I do. However, that is what we use for most everything anyway.

The manual has different gas pressures for differing countries of delivery. My gas pressure may be wrong/low preventing me from getting the 450 degrees I need for pizza. Might get a gas guy to check it out. Live and learn, but the vent is not a problem.

Tim
M/V 068
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

I have been wanting to do this switch for a long time now.
The admiral absolutely refuses to use a microwave under any circumstance.. ( bit of hippie)
In fact I removed it from the boat and a toaster oven sits in its place.
Would you mind sharing some photos of your oven ??

Thanks
Bill
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Post by sailkane »

I am interested in this option also....beside the pictures could you explain if you installed any heat shielding and how you vented the oven .
Thanks
“Fair Winds and Flat Seas”
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Photo does not show much. See previous post for venting. I did nothing and I worked.
IMG_1153.JPG
PBCarter
deckhand
deckhand

Post by PBCarter »

Thanks Tim for the photo...that's a big help and it looks great in that space. Just catching up on the thread as we've been out in the Gulf Islands (BC) the last 2 weeks and mostly out of touch with spotty cell service. We were happy with the 700W microwave we now have onboard and had a friend build a beautiful insert around it with a shelf on top and the side. I'm liking the extra storage so much I'm not sure I'll want to give it up for the oven! :)

I appreciate the update about the temp and the heat dissipation. I hope to get some more specs from Eno/Force 10 on what they expected the "corresponding" oven temp would be with the numbers on the dial. I'll have to ask about the gas pressure influencing the temp.

They also confirmed that 95% of the installs of their oven are in cabinets and therefore don't use an actual vent pipe attached to the rear "chimney" on the unit. They rely on the space inside the cabinet to move heat out through the slots above the oven door. So your install sounds like it's pretty typical. Our boats have the advantage of the air vent above the space.

Hope you find a carpenter for the trim when you get back! Safe travels...

Cheers,
Penny