Galley Sink Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Galley Sink Replacement

Post by Nick »

We would like to replace our two stainless galley sinks with one larger more functional sink. Has anyone ever made this modification? Seems it would be a fairly straightforward mod, but require getting a new countertop and relocating the faucet. Excluding cost, is there any reason why this might not be a good idea?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Galley Sink Replacement

Post by Expatriate »

Nick,

We once replaced a sink on a 38 sailboat. It had two identical basins that were 8 inches deep like a lot of sailboats. They were stainless steel and always kind of dull and dirty looking no matter what we did. There were a couple of pans we could not wash (easily) in there.

We switched to a sink that also had two basins, but one side was larger than the other. It was only six inches deep, but that actually helped. I had to increase the size of the opening in the direction towards the faucet and barely had enough room. I looked for a month before finding a sink that might fit. It was heavy plastic and "biscuit" colored, but only cost $100. It completely changed the look of the galley making it much brighter.

I see that you are a 2005 #66, so I assume the newer galley. I am recalling, without going to the boat and looking, that there is almost no wiggle room in the direction towards the faucet, the in-out direction. When you say "more functional" what do you mean exactly? Is it the pan washing thing? Unfortunately, there is just not much room unless you make it wider. With some luck, you will not have to move the faucet.

Our sink, and probably yours, appears to be chrome plated stainless steel. It looks much like an RV sink, and we do OK except for one large pan. RV supply stores were one of the places I looked when trying to find a sink for the sailboat. I also looked in restaurant and bar supply websites. There were quite a few standard sizes and not many odd sizes. All I can say is measure very carefully. Good luck.

Tim
M/V Expatriate
HN 68
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post. We have the newer galley style and trying to satisfy the primary galley user. We simply don’t use one of the two equally sized sinks and neither really fit all the pans we use nor allow for easy soaking. I really don’t see how to get a bigger (ie longer) sink without relocating the faucet because the current faucet base extends into the part of the counter separating the two sinks. It all starts to look progressively more complicated/expensive than first thought and I will totally measure multiple times, reflect and then re-measure some more before doing anything.

This project is far more important to one crew member than the other haha. Good tip on the RV sinks. Maybe some new cookware might solve the issue more easily!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I would definitely change the cookware before trying to change the sink!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade