Hello from new owner

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bobcarolabel
deckhand
deckhand

Hello from new owner

Post by bobcarolabel »

Hello fellow PDQ powercat owners. We bought our new to us PDQ MV34 #73 this past March 2019 from Beth at RLYS.
We worked through numerous "glitches" bringing the boat back to Delaware. Now working through the fix-it and upgrade list
to prepare for a winter trip to the Bahamas. We just ordered a replacement double helm seat for the FB. Great July 4th deal at Overton's
right now - 30% off and free shipping (<$300!!).
I have read the entire powercat forum and am very impressed with everyone's participation and the wealth of knowledge available.
In the near future you will undoubtedly be seeing more questions from us on the things we have not been able to figure out.
1- has anyone found a way to lock the 4 forward deck hatches?
2- has anyone ever replaced a tach lightbulb? Every lower helm instrument bulb stopped working while coming north. All but the tachs
have been replaced with red LED bulbs. Even google didn't help with access to the tach bulbs.
3- anyone using a shoot thru hull depth transducer I would love to hear about type and any issues.
4- we have very stiff steering, has anyone out there installed the Sea Star power assist drive unit?
Thanks to all that have shared such great information on the forum,
Bob and Carol Abel
MV 34 #34 with 75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Hello from new owner

Post by deising »

Welcome to the PDQ family, Bob and Carol!

#3 - We had a shoot-thru fish finder in the port hull that never worked and I just didn't care, since we had a thru-hull depth transducer in the starboard hull. Well, just recently I found the port fish finder had been epoxied in place and essentially broke loose. Luckily, the epoxy peeled off easily and I could affix it with silicone caulking. Now I get a decent, reliable reading for depth. I don't know what model, other than it is Raymarine.

#4 - I have not heard of a power assist unit, but that means nothing. We only seem to get tight steering when we are low on fluid (fill only from the top steering station), or when the rudders are way out of alignment. I assume you were instructed how to align/balance them.

Good luck with the boat. ALL boats are compromises, but we have been very happy with our choice after 4.5 years and 16K nm.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Welcome Bob Nd Carol,

3. I installed a inexpensive Hawkeye depth finder with a shoot through the hull transducer. I use it as a backup and in shallow areas to see what I have under each hull. The transducer is under the panel in front of the head. The depth finder readout is mounted on the flybridge. It came with a 30’cable and used all but about 18” of it. Our primary transducer is under the frig.

4. Regarding the steering, our steering is not difficult at all so it makes me wonder if you have a different issue? Not sure what other than a cable. Mane so others have an idea?

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

I'm betting the stiff steering is b/c the rudders are out of alignment. Takes 5 minutes to align.

While at dock, turn wheel all the way to port and have mate hold it there under light pressure. Open the balancing valve (probably under floor of starboard inboard locker). have mate continue turning wheel to port until it stops. Close the valve. Have mate turn wheel all the way to starboard and maintain pressure. Open the valve while mate maintains pressure until wheel stops. Close valve. Get a beer, you've earned it. (Sometimes we'll repeat the process just to be sure it's aligned.)
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

As far as aligning rudders, this might be obvious to all, but don't do it if you are moving through the water, even slowly. Also, if you are stationary (anchored, moored, docked) in a strong current, the rudder position will be affected during the procedure and they will not align prooperly.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
bobcarolabel
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobcarolabel »

Thank you all for your repsonses. On the stiff steering:
- hydralic fluid properly filled,
- rudder alignment has been done over and over,
- I disconnected the hydralic rams from the rudder posts, each tudder turned very easily by hand,
- with rams disconnected from rudders the steering is still very stiff.
When I say stiff it means 2 hands on the wheel are required to turn the wheel. One handed you are not able to turn the wheel.
Lenghty discussions with Sea Star - they recommend a Power assist pump.
Possibly the rams are the issue.....
Bob and Carol Abel
PDQ powercat Pepromenon
hull #73 with 75hp yanmars
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Please let us know what you do for a fix and if you are pleased with the outcome.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

I would stay away from adding a power assist as it is not needed on any other 34 so the problem is spicific to your system. Might look at bleeding the system and replacing the oil, a bad ram, steering or auto pilot pump, kinked line..

James
boatpf
deckhand
deckhand

Post by boatpf »

B
Have the exact same stiff steering issue on my PDQ. I checked steering fluid and aligned rudders , but n improvement
Please let me know if you find out the cause of the problem and Will do the same.

I als
David
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

It does sound like a ram is stuck, but it could be the balancing valve itself. Is it hard to turn while balancing the rudders?

Tim
M/V Expatriate
HN 068, 2005
bobcarolabel
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobcarolabel »

Tim,
Having never aligned rudders on another PDQ I can't say if the valve is hard to turn our not.
My inclination is that the valve turns relatively easy with one finger and fhumb.
Someday I hope to be. Side by side with another PDQ and get a feel for their valve turning and wheel turning.
Planning on stopping in Stuart on our way south for a visit with Dick for PDQ U. Lots to learn!
Thanks for your response,
Bob Abel
PDQ MV32 #73
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Bob,

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant is the steering wheel hard to turn while balancing the rudders?

Tim
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We have never experienced any tightness in the steering wheel while balancing the rudders. Something is wrong with your system. You'll have to figure a way to isolate which component(s) are a problem. Good luck!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
bobcarolabel
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bobcarolabel »

Steering issue update.
During our trip south this year, we decided to have the experts evaluate the steering which we have felt was very stiff.
Interestingly, after 4 months of actively using the boat (Delaware to Florida Keys and part way back) the steering has gotten easier and easier and now we can steer easily with one hand.
We stopped in Riviera Beach on our way north from the Florida Keys and had Florida Rigging and Hydraulics aboard (Sea Star authorized mechanic).
John was very thorough and evaluated the wheel pumps, both rams, the autopilot, much of the hydraulic tubing and the balancing valve assembly. He could find nothing wrong and felt the steering was A-ok. He did say that he could spend lots of our money replacing items as preventive maintenance but would bet that nothing would change in the steering. He also added that if it was his boat he would do nothing! He went on to comment that we had, in his opinion, oversized hydraulic wheel pumps and that he wonders if the newer PDQ models went to a smaller pump that is easier to turn the wheel. We have Sea Star model #HH5272 wheel pumps (upper and lower helms) with a 2.4 cu. in. thrust. The 2.4 pump requires 3.5 turns lock to lock turning where the alternate 1.7 cu. in.pump requires 5 turns lock to lock and therefore the 1.7 pumps are much easier to turn. Wee have learned that some of the newer PDQs have the 1.7 cu. in. pump. We elected to make no changes. A few people recommended bleeding the system, but John felt that was unnecessary. Perhaps the frequency of use these past four months allowed a bubble to work its way out. I have never had to add hydraulic fluid and John felt that a bubble was very unlikely.
Unfortunately we do not know the exact resolution of the stiff steering but we sure are happy with how the boat handles now.

Bob and Carol Abel
PDQ M/V Pepromenon
Hull #073 with 75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Good news, Bob and Carol. Thanks for the report; it is always nice to hear the second half of the story.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL