A/C Units humidity control

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

A/C Units humidity control

Post by dstrecker1 »

I just purchased a 2006 PDQ and moved it from Cape Cod to Jacksonville FL. Eventually it will go to the Gulf Coast its new Port. One issued I noticed is the A/C was programmed for a continuous running fan when set on cool. I also noticed that the humidity in the cabin would stay near 80% to 70%. As a mechanical engineer I have encountered this issue before. To dehumidified the fan needs to be programmed to run only when the compressor is operating. Otherwise the fan will blow condensed water off the coils after the compressor shuts downs. I did reprogram the A/C and the humidity dropped to 40%. The problem is that I believe Cruise Air has the thermostat located near the A/C coils which prevents accurate monitoring of the room temperature when the fan is not running. The solution would be to move the unit measuring thermometer to the room and away from the A/C coils.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: A/C Units humidity control

Post by duetto »

hi,

i believe the temp sensor is located in the wall control, at least it is on the marine air unit i'm looking at. if cruise-air is different, not sure where it is.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: A/C Units humidity control

Post by thinwater »

The Dometic Turbo I installed had it on a ~ 6' cord. They suggested placing it in the return air duct, because that gives accurate measurement when the unit is not running, but as dstrecker1 correctly pointed out, it is only correct if the fan is running, which is not acceptable. The solution is to mount it mid-cabin in a location that is out of the sun, away from cold air outlets, and away from the door. I mounted mine under the table, near the return, which has worked well.

In the thermostat does not always work well on boats, because the thermostat may be in the sun or near power panels that put off heat. It's not a house, where a wall thermostat will be located on an interior wall in the center of the house.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html