Removing Flybridge icemaker

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Removing Flybridge icemaker

Post by John&Ria »

Our flybridge icemaker is rarely used and not looking in good shape. We've decided to remove it and put the space to better use. I'm wondering if anyone else has tackled this job and could share their experience, good or bad.

Thanks.

John
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Re: Removing Flybridge icemaker

Post by Ortolan »

John,

This was one of our first projects when we bought Twin Sisters. We decided an icemaker wasn't needed, but we would need extra fridge space rather than extra storage, so we replaced the icemaker with a small Engel #SB47F-MK fridge, typical of Sea Rays & such. The opening size is different, but larger, so no fiberglassing. In addition to re-wiring to 12 volts, some of the issues were:

- My helm seat just would not come off (since solved) so I had to do all of the work with the helm seat in the way. I would attempt to remove the seat posts a week ahead to make your life easier.

- Underneath the icemaker is a fiberglass pan, but only in place with a few screws & sealant.

- You'll have to raise the fridge up 1" or so AND provide a level floor (it is sloped) - I used a type of plastic board to raise up & level the floor where the 2 fridge base rails are positioned.

-Permanently cap off the icemaker water supply under the galley fridge - to be safe I removed the "T" connector completely.

Probably a medium-sized project in our difficulty/cost/mess index, but well worth it for the extra fridge space as well as when entertaining on the bridge.
IMG_6015.JPG
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Re: Removing Flybridge icemaker

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks for sharing your experience and the photo Russ, it will help guide our preparations for the job.

The new fridge looks good!

Cheers,

John