Interior touch-up

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Interior touch-up

Post by Speedo »

Hi all,
I’m looking to do some touch-up in the interior wood work.
Any suggestions on stains and finish.
Thanks for any input.
Jim Earl
Well Done 38
2006 PD1 #97
Twin 110 Yanmar -repowered
bobcarolabel
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Interior touch-up

Post by bobcarolabel »

We recently did some interior work on the floors and wood surfaces of our new to us PDQ.
We used a product called gel stain. Since the teak veneer is too thin to sand, regular stains are not an option. Gel stain is applied on TOP of an existing finish. Its like working with chocolate pudding! We previously used it on some home projects including stairs and it has held up well.

Its important to use a good gel stain.
We like General Finishes-
Nutmeg for PDQ floors and Prairie Wheat for PDQ wood surfaces.
If anyone is interested in instructions, I can post those. Its easy- the basics are clean and sand lightly, cover holly strips with 1/4" painters tape (Amazon), apply gel stain, then apply polyurethane.

Here is our cabin sole, before and after. There had been a rug in the center so the floor was in great shape, but the sides were so faded!

http://www.pdqforum.com/download/file.p ... ew&id=1103
http://www.pdqforum.com/download/file.p ... ew&id=1102

Carol and Bob Abel
Pepromenon
2005 PDQ #73
Attachments
0.jpeg
0.jpeg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
0-1.jpeg
0-1.jpeg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Bob, those pics are so impressive. I've been "fairly" successful re-doing our floorboards by tediously and very carefully applying a "cherry" paste stain to the darker wood. Then covering with a satin oil based varnish. It's VERY hard to get the varnish on fast enough to avoid "holidays" and brush strokes. While my efforts look pretty good, the process was way too tedious and not at all as effective as your approach.
I have not even attempted to work on the bigger cabinets like the lower helm.

We recently had to replace our dining table. The original was broken by a charter guest. I had zero time for it, so I hired a really good shipwright carpenter. His process for finishing the table was similar to yours... sand, stain, lightly sand again, and apply 3-4 coats of satin polyurethane.

Next time I work on floorboards, I'm going to do it your way.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Thanks. Some useful tips. I will try this, but I will practice a few iMessage on
some less important material. Mainly fixing spot damage as the vast majority
of the interior is very good.
Thanks again.

Jim Earl
2006 PDQ #97
Yanmar 110’s - repowered