Flybridge enclosure

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Flybridge enclosure

Post by AMCarter3 »

We are considering adding a partial plexiglass enclosure to the front of our flybridge. I've seen photos of several PDQ's on the East coast with full flybridge enclosures. I'd like to hear from those PDQ owners -- what's your experience with full or partial enclosure? Does it add to the "sail" factor when you are underway or especially when docking in windy conditions?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Flybridge enclosure

Post by AlanH »

This does not answer your question at all Mac but I thought I would tag onto it as this is sort of related. We are in Florida so we are not really interested in a plexiglass addition or a full enclosure but we have thought about an eisenglass front windshield for chilly days that would be easy to remove when not in use.

Has anyone done this or anything like it?

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

"Eisenglass" is rigid and not what we are considering and "plexiglass" is also not the right term. I just don't know the terminology for the clear, flexible vinyl plastic wind shields you see on power and sail boats. I know some versions are a lot better than others. Our objective is to create a degree of wind protection on cold or damp days, but NOT enclose the flybridge. We don't want to add more "sail" to the boat. We're going to get a cost estimate soon from one of our local canvas installation groups that we have worked with before (bimini's). We're thinking of a wrap across the front with maybe 2-3 ft. wrap around on the sides. I'd like to hear any feedback from other PDQ owners about their experience with the "sail" effect of enclosures on a PDQ.
Mac Carter
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Post by sailkane »

We have a 3 side enclosure that is up all year long. We have u shape zippering openings on all 3 sides. Toasty warm if there is sun.
As far as “ sailing” I have not noticed any major differences as compared to no windows. I am sure if it was blowing really hard and the docking was extremely tight I could just roll up the windows for the docking/ undocking.
Cost was around 4K because we used the best glass and had it made in 5 pieces and had 3 roll up windows.

I am in the North East and love it.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Sailkane, what you have sounds like what we are imagining.Did you add any SS structural bars to support it? Is it connected to the Venturi wind screen? Could you please send photos so we can see the structure of it?

Thanks very much!
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I will echo that thanks, It sounds like something similar to what we are looking to do.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Post by sailkane »

Added attachments of images.
Attachments
F6E066B9-B02F-4D72-B43D-CA162E1D49ED.jpeg
F6E066B9-B02F-4D72-B43D-CA162E1D49ED.jpeg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 12647 times
3C40C716-7B58-4C14-8734-4C36129C8AD0.jpeg
3C40C716-7B58-4C14-8734-4C36129C8AD0.jpeg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 12647 times
9BD45BF7-A656-44AF-9831-B993EBD14551.jpeg
9BD45BF7-A656-44AF-9831-B993EBD14551.jpeg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 12647 times
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks!
Mac Carter
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

We have just had a canvas person come and look at making a flybridge enclosure. He was very concerned about the flex in the flybridge splash shield. He’s afraid the pressure of enclosure will damage the shield and/or he will not be able to get enough tension on the eisenglass to have it look really good and not have “waves”. I see sailkane has the enclosure attached to the flybridge outside the splash shield. Is there any tension on the splash shield? Does the latter have a rigid frame? Would you mind posting a coupe of closer up pics of that front piece and it’s relationship to the splash shield? Your enclosure looks great and is precisely what we’d like to do.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

When we replaced our flybridge bimini 2 years ago (it's taller & longer with more "crown"), our canvas guy totally replaced the original (somewhat wobbly) SS structural with a similar but stronger design. It was strengthened by placing the vertical struts in different locations at better angles. It is definitely stronger.

Our new pending partial windshield enclosure has not been constructed yet, but our canvas guy did advise adding two more SS poles in the front to strengthen the bimini structure. The planned enclosure will be a rigid polycarbonate windshield with a "smile" zipper window in the front that will hinge back (not a rollup). The new poles will be placed at the zipper lines on the window. The enclosure will wrap around the front and extend back about 3 ft. (we wanted to minimize the "sail" effect.).
Mac Carter
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Hmmm...our canvas guy was not concerned about the bimini structure itself, but rather anchoring the lower edge of the panels to the boat. If you want the least possible distortion, these clear panels have to be pretty tightly stretched. In other boats, we've had the lowers anchored to the rigid aluminum frame of the splash shield. I've also seen the anchors put directly into the gel coat, but still stretched over a rigid splash shield frame. Canvas guy is worried the PDQ splash shield will not do well with much, if any, tension on it.

I suppose you could extend the front edge of the bimini so the front window panel pieces went straight down and avoided actually touching the splash shield (the latter would be wholly inside the enclosure). From the pictures posted, Sailkane's enclosure seems to be touching the splash shield so I'm wondering if my canvas guy's concern is valid and/or how the relative flexibility of the splash shield was addressed.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
kjoverbeck
1st mate
1st mate

Post by kjoverbeck »

Nick, you might have noticed that when I had the new bimini made, I had zippers installed for future enclosures. There are two zippers on the front and one on each side.
Cheers, Kent
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

i have the total enclosure but I have a hard top to anchor it to. The sides and front are separate sections that can be removed according to how much breeze you want. The bottom is anchored into the gelcoat with snaps. Mine is getting weathered though now and some panels will be needing replacement