Boat Yoga

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Boat Yoga

Post by Nick »

Barb’s tried to interest me in yoga for some time telling me some improved flexibility might do me some good. Never saw the point of it until I became a PDQ owner. Sheesh there are some tight spots! I wonder if anyone in the factory was more than 5’6” tall. I can visually inspect the rudder posts, but are there any tricks to getting back in there to actually do something? Especially the port side! Once back there, how do you get out!? Speaking of the port side, has anyone relocated the water heater? Even accessing the stern end of the port side drip less seal is tough. I either need to lose 30 pounds or teach Barb how to use tools haha!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Boat Yoga

Post by AlanH »

Nick,

Although some would argue I should be, I haven't been doing any yoga and I do manage to get in most of the tight places on the boat. When it comes to the engine compartments, I always take the white engine cover off and the vertical engine room divider off at the rear of the engine. On the chance that you have not had that off yet wiggle it and pull it strait up. That should give you some working room even on the port side. James Power used to work for PDQ at the factory and knows just about everything there is to know about these boats gave me some advice the first time he worked on our boat. "Do not get in the engine compartment with shoes on." His reason is that if you step on something you could break, you will feel with no shoe on and stop yourself before you damage anything. I always take my shoes off. By the way, I am not sure where you keep the boat but James is in Florida about half the year and is highly recommended if you need some work done that is beyond your skill set.

When it comes to moving the water heater. I think Bob MacNeill (Gusto) moved his to the forward compartment on the starboard side. Here is a link to some discussion when he was considering it with some pros and cons. I couldn't find a discussion about the outcome but my recollection is that he did move it but I am not positive. He recently sold his boat but may still be on the forum.

http://www.pdqforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ter#p13784

Let us know if you do make the move and how it works out for you.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Add to the list "changing impellers". Like inspecting the rudder posts, I am simply NOT able to contort my body and arms to do this annual task. As a charter boat , we are required to do a LOT of regular and out-of-season maintenance than normal boaters. I can do a lot of it, but... so, I simply hire our local Yanmar dealer to have one of their shorter guys do this stuff. They do it fast... like its no big deal. Well worth the money.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I always found that padding all of the hard spots with multiple towels made boat yoga go a lot better. You think "it will just be a moment," and then some bulkhead or bump tries to cut you in half. Take the extra time to plan.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html