Deck Storage

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Deck Storage

Post by Nick »

We would like to carry bikes, a kayak and SUP and I’m wondering what “carrying” solutions people have developed. We can obviously lash them to the rails, but I have seen a picture of a PDQ with a kayak hanging on side of flybridge. We have solar panels over the back deck so that space is unavailable. Seems we could rig something to sit atop the dinghy davits, but I’ve read enough here about the Davit system to have some concerns about that.

What have others done? Any recommendations on brackets, etc...?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Re: Deck Storage

Post by Expatriate »

Nick,

If your 2005 is like mine, the dinghy davits have probably been reinforced. Even without the reinforcement, a kayak does not weigh very much. As for bicycles, I have seen a 2003 pdq that used the aft bench seat for a bike rack. They removed the cushions and then placed a PVC half pipe (split down the middle) at the spot where the seats meet the back. The pipe was either 4" or 6" diameter and I think they just drilled holes in it and tied it on with cable ties. The bikes are small and their wheels sit in that half pipe and are then just tied onto the back structure. It is not elegant, but it works.

When we carry a kayak, or anything big and awkward, we just sacrifice one side of the boat, port or starboard and use the other side to go forward. Tying up is a little awkward, but it does not affect anchoring.

Tim
M/V 068
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Nick,

We carry two 16' sea kayaks on our 2006 PDQ using Magma "Removable Rail Mounted Kayak/Sup Racks". They are well designed with high quality with a very secure SS vertical railing post mount. Because they can be easily rotated on the vertical rail post, they easily snug up to whatever is being held in the U-shape (kayak, SUP)... leaving plenty of space for walking on the side of the boat. And they fold almost completely out of the way when not needed.

The only weakness in their rack is the foam pads. Magma sells these rather expensive racks with the foam unprottected -- it's too easy to tear the foam. So, my wife made really effective custom canvas covers for the foam pads from excess bimini canvas. (I shared our solution with Magma - they said, "Thanks for sharing.")

https://magmaproducts.com/boat-mounted-racks
Attachments
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4297.jpg
IMG_4261.jpg
IMG_4260.jpg
IMG_2973.jpg
IMG_2973.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 16341 times
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2967.jpg
IMG_2967.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 16341 times
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
kjoverbeck
1st mate
1st mate

Post by kjoverbeck »

Nick, Tim is right. Your davits have been reinforced. Not by me but PDQ. Very strong.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Hi Nick,

We have taken a simple approach on His Idea:
1) we carry a large paddle board which we attach vertically to the starboard rail with two bungee cords (similar to Mac's picture of his kayak, only the board is flatter, which takes up less deck space); when using the lower helm for piloting, which is rare, we undo the bungee cords and lay the board down so that it does not restrict our visibility to starboard, then if needed access the foredeck via the port side deck
2) we also carry a couple of folding bikes, which we attach to either the port rail (while not travelling) or to the framework of aft deck seat (while travelling longer distances), again using two bungee cords.

This setup has served us well over many miles of cruising.

John
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you for all the ideas! Plenty of solutions in there. Will post what we end up with. A special thank you to Kent (previous owner of this very boat!) for clarifying the davit situation.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Modify a bike rack. You can also buy them for rails.
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2010/ ... igami.html

Kayaks can go on top of the davits (they were low on my PDQ 32). Otherwise, Garhauer make side racks.
https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanchio ... racks.html
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Epilogue: We bought an inexpensive 8’ kayak and a rigid SUP in advance of going to the Bahamas. We have lashed the SUP to the inside of the port railing allowing for clear passage and easy access to cleats and gates and secured the light kayak on top of the davits. Seems to be working great.

We’ll eventually want to add bikes (crew lobbying for 65lb electric) and that will present another challenge. Thanks again for tips and pics here.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
David
deckhand
deckhand

Post by David »

Hi Nick
I put a couple aluminium channels behind my back seat to hold 2 bikes. I just set them in and bungee to my back rail. You may have to strap them to the back of the seat.
David Doyle
Miss My Money #86
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi nick,

we've gone to bahamas more than a dozen times with 2 bikes (folding in bags) on the back seat. we just use some 1/4" line secured to arm rest, back rail, and seat itself. definitely out of the way.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

65-pound electric? Easy. Ask them whether they would rather get exercise peddling or loading the bike themselves. If they snicker, suggest that means the needs is not sincere.

Electric? Really? Are you really going far enough that it will matter?
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

thinwater,

it's amazing how popular they are given the cost.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Epilogue: We brought our bikes across country with our truck camper using a bike rack that plugged into the trailer receiver. Once we got to the boat I cannibalized the rack and mounted it on the rear seat. Perfect! Room for two bikes on a locking rack....and comfortable BBQ access! Plus the process is easily reversed when we head back to WA.
Attachments
2466E542-9444-48E2-95ED-38CC09F54E35.jpeg
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Scottfree
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Scottfree »

Nick,
What kind of bike rack did you cannibalize?
Scott & Cathy McKinley
M/V Scott Free, Norfolk, VA
2006 PDQ 34, hull # 102
100hp, 4 blade prop
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

The rack we cannibalized was a Hollywood rack designed to carry two electric bikes. By “cabbibalize, I don’t mean destroy, but rather dissemble. We use the vertical bar and locking clamps on the boat. When we go back to WA, I reassemble the rack for use on car.

Ours are full size e-bikes. Easy on and off boat and transformative in terms of range of access from marinas. I can ride with golf clubs to courses much further afield and our general range of exploration is much greater. Of course, the more you pedal the further you go on a charge. We’ve travelled with regular bikes, folding bikes and now electric bikes. Absolutely recommend the latter if considering carrying bikes.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66