Got a CPAP Aboard?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Got a CPAP Aboard?

Post by Ross Bowling »

Question has popped up on where one places a CPAP machine aboard our 34’s? Is the ledge by the rear window the place or simply on the berth?

Asking for a friend! 😎
Ross Bowling
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Got a CPAP Aboard?

Post by deising »

I started using one last summer and keep it on the shelf by the berth hatch. It takes an extension cord to reach from the outlet. The only negative for us is that we now leave the inverter on all night when we are away from shore power. The CPAP doesn't take much power, but coupled with the inefficiency of the inverter, it makes a difference to our state of charge in the morning.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AbbotsfordIII
deckhand
deckhand

Post by AbbotsfordIII »

I have used a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation auto CPAP with water tank on my PDQ34 for 2 years, on the top step/seat on the way up to the starboard bunk. I found a 12 volt power cord for it online and plug it into the existing cigarette lighter plug at the top step. Use it every night, low power, no problems.

Doug Kerr
Abbotsford III
currently Marathon, FL
dougkerr@comcast.net
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Thx, do you place in on the seat or the small shelf above the seat?
Ross Bowling
AbbotsfordIII
deckhand
deckhand

Post by AbbotsfordIII »

Either would work, depending on which end of the bunk is your pillow/head. I put it on the inboard end of the seat and the standard 4' hose works for inboard pillow, would use the shelf for outboard pillow.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Rather than struggle with locating a shelf near the head of the bed, we strung extra hoses together to make a longer hose, which we then looped along the edge of the ceiling. Worked very well. This allowed us to leave the CPAP safely back on the night stand. I recall the hose was 3x4'=12'. It did not seem to affect the air flow.

Most long-time users end up with a lot of surplus hoses. They can be strung together with short stubs of plastic or metal tubing that make a nice fit with the rubber end fittings. With a little fooling it's easy to make a modular, extendable hose. I'm sure the combination is different for every machine.

Good luck!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html