Sliding Door Alignment

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Sliding Door Alignment

Post by duetto »

While researching my sliding door leak (posted "Sliding Door Leak ...") I figured it was time to replace door rollers and weather stripping. I ordered the parts Kent and Alan provided from Bomar. While I was waiting for the parts I noticed a reference to sliders, top and bottom. I called Bomar and was told the bottom ones came with the rollers but the top ones were no longer available and that they had replaced the sliders with a black PVC insert channel. Turns out we have the channel but I noticed that the top of our door was about 1/16" below the start of the channel. I checked with Bomar and was told the door should ride up in the channel. I emailed Dick Tushick and 2 other owners who reported the same result. James Power said that the doors came assembled from Bomar and were just installed by PDQ. I considered adding a plastic extension to the top of the door to correct the alignment but then the existing weather strip would no longer seal.

At this point the door is not leaking, so I will put the weather strip in my parts locker for possible future installation.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Sliding Door Water Leak

Post by AMCarter3 »

John,

Could you tell me more about the \weather stripping you got for the sliding door? I've got a small, persistent leak that appears to be coming from the lower left corner of the door (as you face it from inside). I'm going to remove the door today to see if I can find the leak source (its very cold here but not raining). If it's the weather stripping, I'll need to replace it.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Sliding Door Alignment

Post by duetto »

hi,

i bought the weather stripping directly from pompanette. after a lot of testing it became clear that the water wasn't getting past the weather strip but from somewhere else. i covered that in another post. i never replaced the weather strip.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Mac,

A few years ago we also had a persistent leak that was ending up at the base of the entryway stairs. I finally determined that the entry point for the water was the base of the radar mast, where the bolts had loosened. After applying new caulking to the bolts and retightening them the leak disappeared. I don't know if this your issue, but it might be worth a look.

Cheers,

John
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

We also had that issue, When we bought our boat in 2016, we noticed extensive leak damage on the wood on the counter behind the helm and on the port side of the entry steps. That source was the failed caulking on the two bolts that secure the mast. That was easy to fix and has not leaked since. And those bolts are dry now with no sign of wetness.

So, I’m thinking it is the door weather stripping... I’m going to pull the door off to see right now.
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Hmmm, I can’t recall how I removed the sliding door 4 years ago. I was able to remove the lower outside track guard, but I don’t recall how to get the door to lift out of its track. Anyone know how to do this?
Mac Carter
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mac,

if it doesn't look like weather strip check out this post ...."Sliding Door Leak (Another Kind)". this leak drove us crazy for years. we just went thru one of the rainest summers in fl and not a drop in the boat.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mac,

on our boat, you list it vertically up a bit and then pivot the rollers out from the track.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Duetto, thanks for that link. It refers to exactly the issue I think we are experiencing. Like many, I wish James Powers was still active on this forum. I got the door off without much effort... you just have to slide it about 2" to starboard and then push it UP. My rollers do not rotate; they just pop loose as the door raises up. Anyway, I cleaned the track, added tiny bit of caulking at the likely corner leak spot; put the door back on and crossed my fingers.
Mac Carter