Dipstick Marks

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Dipstick Marks

Post by Nick »

The dipstick on our 100hp motors has only a top and bottom mark. I am wondering how much oil is represented by that gap. 1 quart? I could trial and error to my answer but was hoping someone already had! I don’t want to overfill.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Dipstick Marks

Post by AMCarter3 »

NIck, interesting question. I don't know what the total amount between the two marks, but I do know our Yanmar dealer recommends keeping the oil level between the half way to FULL mark. I do that and find that it takes roughly about 1.5 to 1.75 quarts from the half way to FULL mark. Hope that helps.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Another interesting bit is that there is always (for me) a high side and low side of oil level on the dipstick. I have been told to use the high side as the measure.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Duane,

Mine does the same thing and I wind up checking it about 3 times to get comfortable. I may try just using the high side if that has worked for you.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thanks for replies! I too have a high side and a low side and have been favoring the high to avoid overfill. I hate the pour in some oil, pull the stick (three times too!) then pour some more and repeat, but seems that’s the process you all follow so onward and upward. Will try to confirm calibration over time!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I too have high side and low side... and do 3 dips each time. The challenge with using the high side is that it looks more like ling "legs" on the sides of the stick, like a glass of wine with empty space in the middle. That seems impossible to read to me, whereas the low side is a distinct line across the width of the stick... so I use the low side.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229