Effective Water

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Effective Water

Post by Nick »

OK, I guess if we’re going to discuss fuel, we might as well cover off water too. I understand we have an 80 gallon tank. I have never filled more than 59 gallons (I have a little water meter I attach to the hose when I fill). This fill was after eight days at anchor with barb. We used water judiciously (we carry separate drinking water), but our tank gauge is useless (any ideas there?). I’m wondering if anyone has experience on “effective water” capacity. Just how close were we to “running the tank dry”? I’m assuming we can be a bit more relaxed about the pickup depth in the water tank versus fuel, but I would be interested to hear others’ experience on refills. Has anyone “run the tank dry” (ie, no water flow through taps) and, if so, how much water did you take on when filling?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Effective Water

Post by deising »

I have run the tank dry and seem to recall it took 75 gallons to fill using the meter that I have attached to a fitting for filling.

Unlike the holding tank monitor, the water tank monitor is pleasant to remove and clean/test/calibrate. There are little floats at the ends of the 3 rods. When the float lifts, the water has reached that level. You can adjust the rod depths easily.

I have adjusted the pickup tube for the water tank to be about 3/4 inch from the tank bottom. BTW, we drink the tank water after running it through a Britta pitcher filter and have never had a problem or bad taste.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

One reason the water tank gauge is inaccurate is the tank is built with one angled side. The tank does not have four vertical sides. The tank is much wider at the top than the bottom. The forward wall starts about 2.5 feet from the aft wall. At the bottom of the tank the forward and aft walls are only about 7 inches apart. It is built this way to conform to the shape of the hull. So an inch of water at the top of the tank when full is probably 3-4 times as much water than an inch of water at the bottom of the tank. I figure when the gauge reads 1/2 we really have no more than a quarter of a tank.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

over the last 15 years diane and i have consistently recorded a water usage of 10 gals a day and we've anchored out for 5-6 days in exumas. our usage includes 2 showers, coffee, etc. and dish washes. i created a dowel marked with 1/4 tank markings and it works for us.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We, too, now use 9-10 gals per day. When we started with our sailboat, we had 78 gals in 3 tanks and got away with 3.1 gals per day. We have gotten more decadent over time.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

EPILOGUE: We ran our tank to “dry” the other day; ie, pump would not pump water. Refilled using a flow meter and found we took on 66 gallons so I guess that’s the “effective” water on our vessel. I’m assuming our pick up is stock.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

I put in a stainless steel fuel gauge float level sensor in our our aluminum water tank, however I put a piece of shrink wrap tubing on the stainless steel sensor rod and then insulated the end of the rod with a rubber coating. This eliminates any reaction between the stainless steel rod and the tank. After shrinking the shrink wrap the float will still slide up and down the rod. Then used a standard 12 volt fuel tank gauge mounted in the head. Very accurate. Works great.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
Thing 1 Thing 2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Thing 1 Thing 2 »

We installed a Tank Tender about 15 years ago (tanktender.com). It is an inexpensive, simple system that measures liquid based on air pressure. No electric required! It is hooked up to the water and fuel tanks. We depleted 100% of usable water using the faucets. We then began filling the tank using one gallon jugs and took measurements as each gallon was deposited to the tank. We measured 74 gallons. The Tank Tender gives us an accurate measurement of exactly how much usable water remains in the tank.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

couple of questions: water: how did u get at the sides of tank? fuel: did you do back tank? if so, how did u get at sides? also, is it accurate?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

forget my question. i didn't look at link. i thought it was the kind that used stick ons.

that said, is it accurate on rear fuel tank? did any drilling particles end up in tank?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Thing 1 Thing 2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Thing 1 Thing 2 »

It is very accurate when the boat is at rest in calm conditions. No shreds in the tank. Just disconnect the fitting at the top of the tank, install the fitting, drop the plastic tube to the bottom of the tank and your off!