Florida Storage

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Florida Storage

Post by Nick »

We are going to store Catsaway in Florida in non-climate controlled, but fully covered storage from May through February of next year. We’re from the PNW and have no understanding of humidity.....OK, we know rain, but not Florida-style humidity haha! I’m wondering if there are any tips anyone may have for us. We’re assuming we need to use a ton of “damp rids”, but how many and are there key places to locate them? Should we leave fuel full? What about the water tank? Any and all tips super welcome as we’d like to come back to our boat looking/smelling as nice as we leave her.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Florida Storage

Post by duetto »

hi nick,

we've stored in fl in the summers for the last 10 years, 9 with electricity. we're in stuart on the east coast but i suspect much of florida is the same. we've had luck with a dehumidifier, set at 60%. no mold, it actually seems like arizona. we've always stored outdoors, out of the water (at 3 different yards). we've built reflective panels (home depot) for windows which make a huge difference. so far no big problems. friends have setup a self-contained room a/c exhausted thru a side port with success. if i were younger and just starting i'd probably try it.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Nick,

We live in Florida and when we are not on the boat we use a dehumidifier like John does when the boat is out of the water. I take it on and off the boat when we take trips so I did not want a house sized dehumidifier. I bought a small one that has worked perfect for a boat the size of ours. They are about $60 and small enough to put on the counter next to the galley sink. It did not have a built in drain so I took the drain pan apart, drilled a hole in the side of it and put a fitting and hose on it. It drains into the sink. I have attached a link to a similar model. If you search on small dehumidifier you will find plenty.

Alan

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC5PPWM/re ... =267557011
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you for the tips. Yep, we bought a dehumidifier on the advice of Don aboard Ripple and used it with great success last year when we left Catsaway in North Carolina. We also drained to the sink. Worked great. We are leaving the boat in LaBelle at River Forest Yachting Center this time and unfortunately, they don’t offer power. They store some super nice boats though and advised using damp rids. They’ll even “maintain” the damp rids if we tell them where they are. Given that we won’t have power, I’m wondering if there are any non power ways to minimize mold and mildew beyond buckets of damp rid.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi nick,

first, we're in river forest in stuart and they have power but not sure about room. you might want to call. if you do, ask for george. you can tell him i recommended them. not sure if it will help.

as to damp rid, we used it the first year we stored out of the water in fl. the yard we were in changed and refilled periodically. we also wiped all indoor surfaces with vinegar. we had no problems. we do know of some who use damp rid and have gotten mold. can't say why we didn't get any but it was only one year.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Hi John,

Yes, I have seen Duetto looking very good at River Forest in Stuart, but we are going to be in LaBelle. Already have spot reserved. They said no power, but I will ask again given your comment. Thank you.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Maybe there would not be a 30A marine hookup, but perhaps 120V 15A with extension cord could be arranged.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

If there is access to a regular 120V 15 0f 20 amp outlet, they do make an adapter that plugs into the outlet and connects to your 30 amp power cord. It at least lets you bring the power in the normal way. We carry one but have never had to use it.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

alan,

so the dehumidifier you referenced keeps humidity where you want it for the whole summer? we have used the std room size stand up unit. i would like the smaller format if it works. do you know what percent humidity it keeps the room at?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

John,

I don't know what the humidity level is, I have never actually checked it. Janet is very alert to any humidity and any slight odor that could be from moisture and her alarm has never gone off. We have never seen any signs of excess moisture either. I am confident it is doing the job though. I would offer to check it but the boat is in Jacksonville at Huckins getting a complete paint job.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

alan,

seems like you're satisfied, so we'll give it a try next season.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

I know some of us store our boats at RFYC in LaBelle. It’s not inexpensive, but it’s a fantastic facility. Unfortunately, John Helfrich, the yard manager will be leaving. I assume RFYC will work hard to maintain its current standard, but boatyards generally reflect leadership and there can always be hiccups in transition.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi All,

A little late to the party but would like to mention that if plugging shore power into a 15 or 20 amp GFI outlet with an adaptor it will trip the breaker if you have a Pro Mariner galvanic isolator aboard.

James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

fup on james' comment. we have the pro mariner setup on our "other" boat and have experienced the tripping that james described. one way around it is to disable the power to the promariner monitor. the monitor is what trips the breaker.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Just to echo what John said. After doing a lot of research, we disconnected the Promariner monitor also. The monitor system would send a test signal into the marina electrical system that new ultra sensitive breakers interpret a problem on the boat and they trip. We have not had an marina electrical issue since we disconneted it. The new galvanic isolators do not have monitors.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines