REAR SHELF IN STATEROOM

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
sailkane
skipper
skipper

REAR SHELF IN STATEROOM

Post by sailkane »

I must have some type of leak that is causing the rear wood shelf to rot. Starboard side and have not found the leak as yet!
Does anyone know how that shelf is attached....no screws visible. What type of wood is this and anyone have a stain color?
Attachments
05D309D0-5C74-476A-A52D-E312812FC23D.jpeg
05D309D0-5C74-476A-A52D-E312812FC23D.jpeg (20.62 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: REAR SHELF IN STATEROOM

Post by AMCarter3 »

We had a similar issue when we bought our PDQ in 2016. It had years of extensive water damage (black stains) on both berth shelves, the shelf behind the lower helm seat and the sloped surfaces next to the entry door steps. The damage could not be sanded out.

Our first task was to find and fix the leaks. We found both berth leaks came from the aft porthole tilt-out windows. Both had years of scum and crud built up on and around the window gaskets. A thorough cleaning did the trick. No more leaks, unless someone, not me of course, leaves an aft porthole window open when it rains. The source of the leak behind the helm seat was the bolts at the base of the mast. There is a small access hole in the ceiling behind the helm. We lowered the mast and removed, cleaned and re-caulked the bolts and reset the mast. No more leak.

Then, we hired a local marine carpenter (highly recommended) to cover the damaged shelves with a thin (less than 1/16") vinyl laminate. After looking at many options, we bought 5'x!0" sheet of Wilsonart "Wild Cherry" laminate. The cost then was $2.55/sq.ft. The end result was fantastic. He somehow got every inch of the curves perfect. No way I could do that. And they still look perfect after And it was a very reasonable cost for an excellent result... $1,538.

(This forum software is not allowing me to upload a photo of the laminate sample. If you want it, send me an email.)
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Re: REAR SHELF IN STATEROOM

Post by sailkane »

As always Mac has been there done that! Thanks for the help, I just orders a sheet.