Nova Kool (Replaced)

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lnelson
deckhand
deckhand

Nova Kool (Replaced)

Post by lnelson »

Just a heads up for anyone having to replace the fridge in a late model PDQ34
If you are going with a direct replacement Nova Kool (RFS7501) you can get this fridge off your boat without removing the sliding door or screen.
I was able to slide the fridge out the front window in the salon( wife's idea) with plenty of room to spare. This job took me about 3 hrs solo. You will need to remove the doors off the fridge very easy 2 bolts.

If your smart and defrost fridge properly (Don't use a pointy knife)(Don't ask how I know this) you will most likely never have to do this. :lol: :oops:
If you have any questions shoot me an email
Skipper
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Nova Kool (Replaced)

Post by deising »

Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing the tip. Hope I never need to use it.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thanks for sharing this. We could probably fill these pages up with all the mistakes that would up costing us money.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we've had the fridge in and out twice. don't remember if i took slider off or not but screen definitely did not come off. we don't have an opening center window, so that was not an option.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I'd like to know how to remove the center salon window. The center handle broke off. The remainder of the 10x24 SS screw is imbedded in the aluminum frame. We are trying to figure out how to either drill out the SS screw or flatten it and ignore it. Either way, we need to take the window off its 3 hinges. Can someone explain how the hinges work?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Mac -

I had the same problem last year - no need to remove the window. It’s a fairly straightforward job of drilling & tapping for a new machine screw. Just don’t slip working so close to the glass - you could tape a small square of 1/4” plywood next to the frame to help protect the glass. Go slowly & carefully! I started with a small drill size & worked my way up. Stop & check that you’re staying in the center of the broken screw every few seconds of drilling. If you get off center even a little, your drill will wander even further into the soft aluminum. Obviously don’t drill too deeply either. Then re-tap slowly & carefully.

An easy job - just don’t screw it up!
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks. I’m considering just filing the screw stub down and not replacing it. It’s so much easier to just use the two outside handles to open and close. And I don’t see any downside.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229