Alarm System

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Alarm System

Post by dstrecker1 »

I installed an alarm system on my PDQ 34 because my previous boat, a sailboat, was broken into. The thieves did more damaged breaking into the boat then what they took. The sailboat had no alarm. The alarm I installed on the PDQ was a SimpliSafe alarm. I bought this one because it has water, smoke freeze, motion, and entrance sensors. I bought entrance, motion, smoke, freeze and water and entrance sensors. The freeze sensor can be set to alert at any given temperature selected. I mounted the entrance sensors on the aft door, battery hatch and large storage cabinet on the bridge deck. I mounted a motion detection sensor in the cabin and freeze and water sensors in the engine compartments. Smoke sensor was mounted in the salon. Beside the siren on the base station in the boat I placed one in my house which is about 250' from the boat. The system came with a key chain entrance alarm on and off, much like a car alarm. The sensor on the aft door is mounted so that it triggers even if someone tries to check if the door is unlock. It only requires about an 1/8" movement of the door to set it off which is within the play on the lock system. You can set the siren to activate immediately upon a sensor trip. My thinking was as soon as anyone attempts to pry the door open the siren will send them running. The system can be setup via cell phone link to a monitoring station for about $15.00/mo. The complete system cost less than $300. I installed it about 6 months ago in the boat and so far no false alarm and no problems with it. The whole system is wireless except for the base station. I been having the same system in my house for nearly two years and have yet to replace batteries. I hope this helps anyone looking for an inexpensive alarm system. P.S> I have no financial interest in Simplisafe.