places to stay in the FL keys?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

places to stay in the FL keys?

Post by Lyons Pride »

obviously this pandemic has presented many marinas issues and i am discovering there aren't many that can accommodate the width of our vessels as i am learning. Does anyone have any suggestions on marinas in the keys from marathon to key West that they enjoyed staying?

KIp
Lyons Pride
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: places to stay in the FL keys?

Post by deising »

Wish I could help, but we have always anchored out. Of course, from late Apr to late Oct, you pretty much want to be docked and running A/C.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

last fall we looked into 2 marinas on stock island (...village marina & no sure of other). they are directly across from each other on stock island. both could handle us no problem. we have friends who have both stayed at both and loved them both.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

I appreciate all input from everyone....duane what areas did you moor out on the Hook?
We will for sure look into those marinas that were suggested.
thanks
Kip
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Kip,

Over the years, we have stopped at: Dry Tortugas, Boca Grande Key, Key West (W of Fleming Island), Saddelbunch Harbor (E of Boca Chica, ocean side), Bahia Honda (between the bridges), Marathon (Boot Key Harbor mooring ball), Coco Plum, Lower Matecumbe, Indian Key, Snake Creek (bayside), Pumpkin Key and Angelfish Creek area, Elliot Key

There are only so many places to cross from the ocean to bay side and protection from strong winds can be challenging. Making progress up-key in Hawk Channel (ocean side) in strong easterlies can be punishing. A lot depends upon what you intend to do. If you just want to be out in clean water enjoying nature, then you can move around. If you want to explore a lot on the land side, then you want to be close to the action (like Key West or Marathon) where buses are available.

Good luck!
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

thats great info as we don't mind being on the hook as long as we can dingy over. most of the winds lately seem to be coming out of the east so i guess the west side probably will work out better.....if these anchorages are on my chart plotter i should be able to locate them. I figured you have been down there plenty. NOw that things are opening up we want to venture down there.

thanks
Kip
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

I would use Active Captain (free site, now owned by Garmin) to locate all those places and check what other captains have said about those places while you plan.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL