Fuel Vent Gurgle?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Fuel Vent Gurgle?

Post by AMCarter3 »

When we are out on our boat for a few days, we sometimes hear a short, soft (1-2 sec.) gurgling sound (like bubbles in a pipe). It occurs at odd times, not a regular pattern... it might occur once or twice at night or once during the day. Or not at all. With the starboard berth window open at night, the sound is a bit louder. So, we have assumed the sound is coming from the overflow vent for the main diesel tank between the two berth windows facing aft). There is no sign of diesel fuel leaking anywhere. Any idea what might be causing this sound?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Fuel Vent Gurgle?

Post by AlanH »

Mac,

We get a little gurgling from the head when the water level in the bowl is very low. If we leave the water level near the top of the narrow pipe at the bottom of the bowl, just where the bowl opens up, we don't get the gurgling. Not sure if this is your issue or not.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Are you sure it is not the automatic bilge pumps cycling on to check if there is water to pump? Ours make that gurgle sound you described.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Duane,

I know that question was for Mac but I am curious, our bilge pumps only come on for high water (never has happened) or if we hit the manual switch to test. Yours actually cycle on by themselves?

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Alan,

Yes, ours are Rule Automatic. From their info:

Rule automatic bilge pumps have an internal computer chip to cycle pumps every 2-1/2 minutes. The pump runs for one second and shuts down if no water is detected. If water is detected, automatic pumps sense resistance at the impeller and run until water is removed. No float switches required.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I have Whale bilge pumps and they do not cycle on/off.
Mac Carter
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thanks Duane. Mine are Attwood pumps. They do not auto cycle.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Ahhhh ... we hear the same occasional gurgling noise. I had thought it must be battery acid gurgling or something, but the diesel vent makes MUCH more sense - in particular the Racor fuel/air vent separator in the vent line which is basically 2’ away when lying in bed. We hear the gurgling mostly at bedtime - that would make sense as there might be slight venting with the change in temp.
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Now that we are listening for the gurgling sound, we hear it periodically during the day and night. If the aft berth window is open at night (mine was wide open all night), the gurgling is much louder. It doesn't matter if it's 55º or 75º... flat water or slightly turbulent water. There's no way to tell if it occurs when underway. And, there is never any trace of any liquid leaking anywhere. I'm starting to wonder if maybe something is living inside our fuel tank or vent line :). Remember that very old movie "The Blob!"?
Mac Carter