Engine Panels

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Engine Panels

Post by Expatriate »

After a lot of problems with my panels at the inside helm, I have decided to replace them. Recently, the starboard engine engaged the starter while the engine was running and ruined the starter. This is the second starter. The first time I blamed it on the starter or the relay and replaced them both. This time I think it was the ignition switch, and that was the last straw. Temperature and oil pressure are erratic also. I have replaced senders, and starters, relays, and checked the wiring harness too many times. I'm done with VDO and the messy Yanmar wiring harness.

The new panels are from AC DC Marine. They are plain old analog gauges and they read in PSI and degrees Fahrenheit. Since I had an alternator fail last year, I just replaced them both with the type that has a tachometer sender lug built in. I have heard this style is less accurate than the flywheel type, but I think it will be close enough. So, this is quite the science project, but I just replaced a starter in 4 hours so I feel invincible.

Tim
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Engine Panels

Post by duetto »

hi tim,

first, i admit to being ignorant on the basic issues.

how does this affect your upper helm, if at all?

also, on the temp sender, how does it deal with F/C?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Duetto,

John, I think. The upper helm might be a bit of a variable. It will need the alarm switches that are now on the engines. I think the current arrangement is for one alarm switch, either oil pressure or temperature, to serve two helms. The alarm switches are just switches after all, either on or off. They are not variable resistors like the senders.

The Fahrenheit and Celsius scales are just adjusted on the face of the gauge to be in the right place. I am pretty sure that is all there is to it.

Tim
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Tim,

What engines do you have? I’m interested in hearing what you had to do to replace the starter on either engine. The vertical space under my Yanmar 100’s is very limited. lim
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Mac,

I have the 75 HP engines. I don't know really what the physical differences are in the three engine sizes. I assume that your engines have different valve timing, turbo boost, and maybe an intercooler. The intercooler, if you have one, might make the starter harder to get to depending on where it is mounted.

My technique is to first remove the alternator. The first time I removed the starter, I worked long and hard with the alternator in the way. This time I did not think twice. It's only two bolts and a wire plug. Then, after making sure the big switch to the engine is in the off position, I remove the wires to the starter.

Then I assemble a ratchet wrench with a bunch of extensions that total about 2 feet in length. I put a 17 mm socket on the end, and then I work it into the starter from the front of the engine right near the motor mount. It takes little finagling. Some times I remove the ratchet handle, put the socket on the bolt, and then put the handle back on. Both times I have had to use an extra long ratchet handle to crack the bolts loose. I don't have an extra long handle so I used a torque wrench. Once the bolts are out, it slides out pretty easily.

Getting it back on is a different story. It is not hard to put the starter in place with the end in the big hole in the bell housing where you can see the flywheel. Holding it place while you start a bolt is a trick. I start the top bolt first using the ratchet extension and socket in one hand while holding the starter with the other. I let the starter hang by that bolt and then work on the bottom one. Once they are both started, you are home free.

I just found a picture of a 100 HP engine. It looks like there is an intercooler (or something) under the heat exchanger that makes it harder to get to your starter. Still it does not look impossible. Just a pain.

Tim
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

On our 75s, I length of cordage temporarily attached to the starter near its center of gravity helped hold it up while the first bolt was inserted.

I chuckle when I think of the mechanic's classes that have a clean engine on a dolly or bench with access to all sides. Sure doesn't look that way nestled in the engine compartment.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

Great idea Duane. Wish I had thought of it.

Tim