Upgrading from Raymarine ESeries to Raymarine Axiom

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Upgrading from Raymarine ESeries to Raymarine Axiom

Post by dstrecker1 »

Has anyone upgraded from the E series chart plotters to the newer Axiom series? I am wondering how much work is involved. The previous owner had a new Raymarine Digital radar installed and I have been told that it will only works with a Raymarine chart plotter. I am hoping the upgrade in chart plotters would be as easy as swapping them out and making a mounting plates, since the new units are smaller than the older ones. I would also like to add a Real Vision depth finder in lieu of the existing.

Dennis and Cindy Strecker
Gemini
Hull #95
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Upgrading from Raymarine ESeries to Raymarine Axiom

Post by deising »

I removed the pair of E120s last year and added the Raymarine Axiom Pro 12 inch. I really like them, and the speed with which the display updates on zoom and pan is amazing compared to the old E120. They sell an adapter plate that uses the E120 mounting holes and lets the slightly smaller footprint of the Axiom fit right in. It is not a wonderfully aesthetic result, but OK.

I had to replace the old RADAR scanner, but the new Quantum is so far superior that it was worth it. I elected to keep the existing autopilot and depth sounder. The depth under the starboard hull reads on its own display. The depth from the transducer in the port hull reads on the Axiom display. It is finally nice to see depths under both hulls, as their 12 foot separation can make a significant difference at times.

As with most projects, running the new cabling was the most time-consuming part. I hired an authorized installer/dealer to help me with that part and the final tweaking of the network, since the old SeaTalk network had to have an adapter for the new SeaTalk NG network. Doing this also made it qualify as a dealer-installed system. Doing much of the work myself saved $2K in labor cost.

The Axioms have a built-in GPS receiver/antenna. Not surprisingly, the lower helm reports much less accuracy than the upper helm, since the upper has a mostly clear view of the sky. I also have an old GPS antenna that is on the network. You can easily program the Axiom to use whichever GPS source you wish.

I took the opportunity to add a new VHF radio with AIS. Unfortunately, I bought the only model that fit the footprint and used NMEA 2000. Turns out it was a commercial model, so it needs a dedicated antenna for the AIS. I added one, keeping it properly separated from the VHF antenna to avoid any interference.

One of my E120's display failed in 2016 and I spent over $600 for a repair. I did not want to take the chance of more failures, so the upgrade was needed. Now I can enjoy it for however many years I have left owning the boat.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Two years ago we replaced all the electronics. Best move I ever made. Modern, easy to use, touch screen, expanded capabilities and much more reliable.

We had Raymarine E80’s and went with Axiom’s. We had already replaced the transducer the year before and the DSM300 had with a CP370. Because these had already been upgraded we probably reduced the price below by $1,000. We replaced everything but the hydraulic portion of the auto pilot. Two different installers told us it was not needed.

With the new electronics we added exhaust temp and high water bilge alarms that can be wired into the MFD’s with the analog to digital converter listed below. The only down side is the MFD's must be on to get an alarm but I was satisfied with that.

We also had the temperature, oil pressure and tachometers wired in to the MFD’s. It required a Actisense EMU-1 ($400) to convert analog signals to NIEMA 2000 digital data. We had a tachometer fail one time underway and this eliminates that problem. We also have access to gauges at the upper station now right on the MFD. We can split page with them but I usually just switch pages periodically. It was not cheap, about $15,000 installed but well worth it in my opinion.

He is a major parts list.

Raymarine Axiom 12 (upper Helm)
Raymarine Axiom 9 - (lower Helm)
Raymarine Quantum Radar 18"
Raymarine EV200 autopilot pack w/ P70r11,Raymarine P70r Autopilot control head (second station)
Raymarine HS5 Ethernet switch
Raymarine AIS650 Class B transceiver
ICOM M424G Fixed mounted VHF RadioICOM M424G and ICOM HM195G Command Mic IV with remote cableCOMROD AV5BI
VHF/AIS antenna 4’ (for AIS)
VHF Antenna 8’ (for radio)
Actisense EMU-1 (converts analog gauge information to digital)

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Thanks for the information. I thought it wouldn’t be easy. It seems like purchasing the parts and pieces is only a fraction of the cost. Having to hire a electronic technician to help with the system is a significant cost. I was told by the previous owner that I would need a separate antenna with the VHF radio he has to get AIS to work. Luckily the previous owner had replaced the radar with a Raymarine RD418D 4Kw 18” Radome just a few years ago. So it is probably 2000 compatible. Probably start with getting the AIS operable.

Dennis Strecker
Hull #95
Speedo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Speedo »

Hi all, I’m not quite ready to take the plunge and upgrade just yet, maybe next year. Meanwhile I’m looking for a auto pilot remote, S100.
Mine has ceased to work. I have the original E series system. Anyone who may have upgraded have one to sell?
I plan on an Axiom system, but need to save my pennies.

Jim Earl
Well-Done 38
Hull # 97
Twin 110’s
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Jim
I purchased one directly from RayMarine, as My remote failed as well.
Ross Bowling
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

It has been a busy year. Replaced the fridge when the original one quit, replaced the ice maker when it quit, replaced a temperature gauge. Well this last trip out the lower Raymarine E120 stopped working. It would periodically shut down and then restart. It would also loose all of it settings upon the restart. Since it is the master unit the upper helm unit would start beeping and loose data. So now I looking at either replacing or repairing the E120 with the same or upgrading the entire system. Has anyone had a similar problem with the E120 or has a working one they want to sell? Like to know your experience with replacement if I go with that option.

Dennis and Cindy Hull 95
501 454-2390
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Just finish upgrading from the E-120s to Axiom ProS on the lower helm and an Axiom RV on the upper helm, both are 12”. The Axiom ProS has the sounder for the depth transducer built in. Raymarine has adapter plates for the upgrade. I also replaced the thru hull transducer with another. The job when easier than I thought it would be. The only real problem was trying to get the Seatalk Ng and RayNet cable from the upper helm to the lower. There is a sharp curve at the lower helm that is just about impossible to navigate. After about 5-6 hours of trying to get a wire thru I decided to just drill a hole above the lower helm and run the cables down along the column between the windows and then thru a new hole I drilled on the window side of the lower helm cabinet. I got a white nylon mesh cover from Amazon to cover the wires and it looks good and like it came with the boat. I attached the cover to the column with double sided tape. To get the wire for the transducer to the lower helm you will need to remove the medicine cabinet. My radar was changed out some time ago to a raymarine digital radar. So I did not have to mess with that. To do the change out you will need a Raymarine 5 way RayNet switch and a Seatalk 1 to Seatalk Ng converter kit. The Smart Auto pilot will require a 3-way seatalk connector. Youtube has a ton of programs on the installation. The whole process in my case cost between $5,500 to $6,000. I did all the work myself, The AIS I had had a Seatalk Ng port so that was an easy installation. The only thing not connected to the new MDFs is Sirus weather. Since I don’t have a subscription to it I am not sure I would use it. The E-120s was nearly impossible to use with Sirus weather because the updates took forever to load so I dropped the subscription service. I still have a seatalk HS switch that I left in since the Sirus is connected to it.
Later I would like to add engine monitoring and an RV 3D transducer to the starboard hull.

Dennis & Cindy Strecker
501 454-2390
Hull #34