Exterior Sun Shade Salon Door

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Pvbeach1
1st mate
1st mate

Exterior Sun Shade Salon Door

Post by Pvbeach1 »

Hi All,

We are getting ready to install a “Textra” snap on sun shade on the exterior on the salon door. Our thought is that it will be able to stay in place while using the door. Our fabricator is questionINF how close the snaps can be placed to the glass top and sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Harrington
“Out If The Blue”
My 34 Hull 57
Bob & Pam Harrington
Out Of The Blue
MV 34 #57
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Exterior Sun Shade Salon Door

Post by deising »

Bob,

I just checked our door. The inside has 1/2 inch wide strips that (presumably) lock the glass panes in place. Assuming the glass does not extend beyond that opening, the farthest the glass would extend is 3/4 inch as measured from the outside. This is because the outside flange is not even with the inside strips. Obviously, you would need to account for the diameter of the snap screws when choosing the hole location.

I have no idea what else might be behind the door frame. I hope this helps, but I cannot provide any assurances. Good luck.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Pvbeach1
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Pvbeach1 »

Duane,

I just had a chance to look at mine and you are spot on. Thank you for your input. I will post once the install has been completed.

Bob H
Bob & Pam Harrington
Out Of The Blue
MV 34 #57
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Bob,

Here is a picture of ours. They only used 4 snaps at the corners.

Alan
Attachments
IMG_0768.jpeg
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

By the way, I tried to rotate the picture and couldn't. If you double click on it, it will open correctly.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Pvbeach1
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Pvbeach1 »

Alan,

Thanks for the photo. Yes, that is exactly what I was envisioning.
Bob & Pam Harrington
Out Of The Blue
MV 34 #57
Rivetman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Rivetman »

Our canvas people suggested attaching velcro to the window frame's exterior in lieu of drilling for snaps. We figure that if/when the glue holding the velcro goes bad, we can scrape and reapply. It works beautifully.

Previously, we had the AwnTex on the interior attached with little suction cups that would occasionally get knocked off when sliding the door open.

We have all other windows coverings made with AwnTex double-snapped so that the solid Sunbrella can snap atop when we want full privacy. In the pic, you can see the solid Sunbrella covering the window behind the ladder
Attachments
IMG_9771.jpeg
IMG_9770.jpeg
Craig & Sue Wiker
MV34 Hull #59
Last Arrow
St Joseph, MI
Pvbeach1
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Pvbeach1 »

Craig,

Thank you for the pics and input. I was initially concerned that Velcro would not be robust enough to hold outside but this certainly gives our guy another option.
Bob & Pam Harrington
Out Of The Blue
MV 34 #57