Bottom Paint

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
makala
skipper
skipper

Bottom Paint

Post by makala »

How many gallons of bottom paint will I need for two coats on the PDQ MV 34? Boat will be in Florida primarily and I plan to use Trinidad SR.. unless there are better suggestions from this forum!

Thanks,
Doug
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Bottom Paint

Post by deising »

Three gallons might stretch for 2 coats, but four is safer.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I live in central Florida. We used three gallons to do two coats. I agree it is a bit of a stretch. Four gallons would be better.

If you do it yourself and it is the first time, be careful where you buy paint. We bought two gallons at the local West Marine. No telling how long it had sat there on the shelf. It was all settled out. They told me the local paint store would shake it for us (Sherwin Williams), but they will not. They said it is too heavy for their machine. The yard would not shake it either, but they probably would have if they were doing the job. I bought a stirring paddle that fits in an electric drill and did it that way. It took over a half hour to stir up each gallon and there was still a little sludge in the bottom of the can.

Trinidad SR is good paint. The boat is otherwise easy to paint; it's easy to get to everything.

Tim
M/V Expatriate, HN 068
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Good comments. When I bought paint from West Marine one time, they said if I did not use it soon, to bring it back and they would re-shake it for me. I guess each store has different equipment available.

Using the paddle, I needed a corded electric drill. There is no way a cordless could handle it even with 2 fully-charged batteries.

My problem is that there is no yard anywhere near us that can haul our boat's (beam restriction) that is DIY. So, I save the effort, but have to write the big check.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

As a charter boat, we are required to have our bottom paint evaluated every year at haulout. We usually add a coat or two about every other year. The paint most recommended in our area by our boatyard is Sea Hawk's Cukote Self-Polishing Bottom Paint. It's actually made in Florida. We get quite good results from it and it is fairly friendly for the environment.

We have very strict EPA environmental regulations in the state of WA now. Boat owners are no longer allowed to do their own bottom sanding/painting in our boatyard. We are required to use the boatyard's crew who thoroughly prep and seal off the entire boat, wear full protective suits, masks and use equipment that captures nearly every spec of paint dust and crud from the hull. The regs are strictly enforced and any owner who violates these rules is summarily tossed out of the boatyard. I've been told it if it was not done this way (it was pretty loose in the past), the boatyard could lose its license.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we've operated in fl & bahamas for about 15 years. the last 6 the yard has done painting and used micron csc. it has worked very well. i've also used petit barnacle barrier (aka rustoleum cold galvanizing spray) on rudders and running gear. it's great stuff, no slime, no barnacles. i use that in new england also with the same results.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

A lot of good advice above, I really appreciate it!

I hadn't thought about the running gear/prop protection. Do most people use the cold galvanizing paint? What prep is needed?

From what I have read, using bottom paint with copper is not recommended for the bronze components.

Thanks!
Doug
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I have had Propspeed put on the props the last couple of times the bottom was painted. It is not not an anti fouling paint but creates a finish hard and slick. I have been pleased with it. https://propspeed.com/
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

re: zinc on running gear prep

all i have ever done is a light sanding and 2 more spray coats. very simple.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Ditto what Duetto does for the running gear, only we use the Martyr brand of zinc spray. This works well in our Pacific Northwest waters.

For bottom paint, we now use Petit Horizons. Very similar results to Micron CSC, but less expensive. One and a half gallons every two years.