Removing and installing shafts

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
makala
skipper
skipper

Removing and installing shafts

Post by makala »

What is the proper way to remove and re-install the shafts? I am switching to PSS seals and will need to remove the shafts to switch to the new seals.

I was able to easily remove the props by using two c-clamps and I had a thick aluminum disk that fit on the shaft perfectly to pull against... one small victory!

Currently hauled out at Cape Marina

Thanks!
Doug
B-Side
MV 34 #102 100 HP
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Removing and installing shafts

Post by duetto »

hi,

you don't need to remove the shafts to replace the seals. you just have to remove the prop and slide shaft back enough to remove and replace with new seal. i did this myself about 10 years ago.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i forgot, you need to split & remove the transmission coupling. this could be easy or hard. get some pb blaster and soak it. you may need a "bridge tool" and a big socket to improvise a puller.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Yes the coupling removal is usually the toughest part of the job. If you do not have the mid bearing the shaft seals can be replaced without removing the props.

James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi james,

just curious. why does mid-shaft bearing factor into removing or not removing the props?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

I can usually slide the shaft far enough aft with props on to get horizontal clearance for the coupling and seal, sometimes requiring turning the rudder. The mid bearing prevents being able to lift the shaft up enough to get vertical clearance needed over the aft engine bilge "hump". In this case prop removal is necessary to be able to slide the shaft aft of the hump.

James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

got it!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Follow-up:

Pulling the shafts was pretty easy- pull the propeller, then disconnect the shaft at the coupler. Next, remove the coupler to shaft bolt/pin and then gently tap the coupling off of the shaft (tapping in the fwd direction).

To install you can just use a flat metal plate and butt that against the fwd end of the coupler and tap the center to drive the coupler back on to the shaft.

I love how easy these boats are to work on!!

Thanks!
Doug
B-Side
MV 34 #102 100 HP