Dinghy Hoist

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Re: Dinghy Hoist

Post by Nick »

Looking for things to do while waiting out winds in the Bahamas so tried swapping my dinghy around and hoisting with engine on port side as Mac suggests. I found it much more difficult, but then I’m REALLY left handed (and stuck in my ways haha) so I’m sticking with the outboard to starboard. Isn’t it great our boats can accommodate left and right handedness without compromising!? Now about the engine access..........
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi nick,

we have the motor to starboard. as far as engine access, i've done many repairs with the dinghy raised (i.e. remove carb, plugs, etc).
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I just changed to hoisting our dinghy as high as possible to reduce dynamic loading AND make it possible to fully open the two berth windows. I've seen photos showing that some of you do this. I like it! It works better than the lower hoist position I used to use. I'm still experimenting with how to best tie it down.

The challenge I face (in virtually all matters) is making things simple for charter guests. If it isn't simple, they just won't do it. So, right now I've got 6 tie down lines securing it to the boat: 2 bow lines, 2 cross lines, and 2 stern lines. It seems too much, but it is extremely effective. BUT, I don't think it's SIMPLE enough yet. See pictures.
Any ideas, suggestions?

PS: 1 of the photos is coming thru sideways... sorry, I can't seem to control it.
Attachments
IMG_1396.jpg
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1395.jpg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

When I said “engine access” I was tongue in cheek referring to the boat yoga required to do much in our engine rooms. Accessing the dinghy outboard while hoisted is just as easy for me on starboard or port. We also have a small manual crane hoist on starboard side we can use to secure the motor, or lift it from the dinghy transom and put it on dock or put it on a stand attached to rear bench.

We do not hoist our dinghy as high as shown in pics as our davits are not as tall. We pull dinghy tight to davit and then attach tie down straps from bow eye and transom eye to respective davit and reef it down. No lateral movement and we’ve been in some big water.

Sorry, but I can’t get picture in correct attitude!
Attachments
90A815DC-4089-4476-9796-280F2B0440B1.jpeg
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

just discovered something. if you click on the photos they display correctly!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Wow! Great discovery. Works for me too. Thanks for figuring that out. The vagaries of technology!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66