Power Issue

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Power Issue

Post by AlanH »

We were making coffee on the boat this morning as we were getting ready to leave. We disconnected the power and turned the inverter on to continue with the coffee. After a couple seconds the power to that outlet went out and all our other outlets also. It looks like everything on the inverter 110 side has quit. Is this an inverter problem? Is there some sort of fuse that controls those outlets? We are on the road and any information would help a lot. We do have the original prosine inverter

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
kentmckee
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Power Issue

Post by kentmckee »

We had the same issue two years ago while in the Bahamas. In our case it was a complete failure of the Prosine unit. Charger and inverter. When this occurs, even while connected to shore power you will loose AC to multiple outlets. There is a temporary solution if you don't mind doing a simple electrical jumper. On the back side of the AC breaker panel you can bridge the A and B bus bars with a 6 inch piece of wire with ring terminals at each end.
When I replaced the Prosine unit I noticed that there was evidence of heat damage to the wires on the AC side. Prior to that repeated efforts to reset the Prosine failed after just a few minutes. Replacement is a Xantrex XC inverter/charger. This has worked well and is much lighter.
Paint the Sky
MV 34 # 44
75s, 4 blade
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

There is a switch on the inverter itself accessed through the locker in the starboard hull. That tripped on us once and the unit has worked fine for many years since then after resetting that switch.

Maybe you will be so lucky.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thank you both for the replies. I tried the switch and it didn’t seem to make a difference. Looked at some other things but did not think I was successful. We docked in Ft. pierce for the night plugged in the power and we have outlets again. Not sure how or why. I have been planning on replacing the inverter. Hopefully this one works for the rest of the trip and I will replace it.

The advice on jumping the outlets will help if it fails again.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

When we bought our PDQ in 2016, we were advised by our maintenance pro to replace the Prosine Inverter/Charger. He said the general reputation of this original device is that it WILL fail within approximately 10 years (+/-)... sort of like spinning hard drives... it's not whether it will fail, but when it will fail. He said they do not fail gradually... they just suddenly DIE. Not good if you are out on a cruise and it just dies.

We waited another 2 years and finally, due to a variety of electrical charging system issues, replaced it with a VICTRON Multi-Plus Compact 12v 2000 watt inverter/charger. It is an outstanding device, very popular with the "pro's" and actually costs less than a new version of the Prosine inverter. My recommendation... after 15 years, it IS time to replace this critical piece of equipment.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we went thru 2 prosines before we switched to victron 12 years ago. it was a good decision. with that said we have a magnum on our other boat and i like that also. we've had that 10 years.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

I believe my Prosine 2.0 inverter is failing based on “smell”. It’s working, but emitting a weird smell. Prosine 2.0 no longer made. If I change to another brand, assume the control panel will need to be swapped out also or can it work with another brand? I see Mac used a Victron which is available on Amazon. Easy swap or best done by certified marine electrician?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we replaced our prosine with the victron ourselves. while i was at it, i moved it from the locker under the helm seat to the compartment behind the steering station. i also installed 2 fans to exhaust the hot air from the charger and out of the compartment.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Nick,

After our problems that started this string last year we replaced our inverter. We replaced the Prosine with a Magnum MS2012 2000W inverter/charger and also replaced the control panel with a MW-RC50 remote control. The Magnum inverter is heavier than the Prosine.

I am handy but electrical work is not necessarily my strong point. I put it in the same spot as the Prosine. The installation was pretty straight forward. I removed the lower helm seat to put through-bolt anchors in. There was one battery cable that was almost too short but it did work. The control panel is smaller than the Prosine control so you will need to deal with that if you go this route.

The best price I found on the magnum at the time was from donrowe.com. Here is a link to the MS2012. https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energy-M ... fYQAvD_BwE

Good luck,
Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you for input. Wow, tough availability! Magnum and Xantrex on back order. Spoke to guy who recommended Magnum over Xantrex, but was concerned Magnum would be able to stay in business. This guys been waiting six months for Magnum parts. Might just go on backorder list and see what happens. I’m told March now, but we’ll see.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We just bought a new dinghy. Our first two choices were back ordered with at least six month delays.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Finally some inverter inventory…at least Xantrex. The recommended replacement for the Xantrex Pro Sine 2.0 is the Freedom SW which weighs 60lbs! My current inverter is installed on the ceiling of the port side locker closest to the bed. I imagine it weighs no more than 20lbs if that.

Alan, I see you mention “through bolting” your new inverter by removing captains chair. Do you mean new inverter still hangs in that locker, but is through bolted? That works, but wondering has anybody else installed a new/heavier inverter and, if so, anywhere different?

As an aside, still can’t get Magnum anywhere. The other possible replacement is the Xantrex XE Pro. Although it’s much lighter, it’s not as robust a unit as the Freedom.

As always, any advice would be much appreciated!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Nick,

Yes, I did install the new one on in the starboard side locker near the bed where the Prosine was. The Magnum was also much heavier than the Prosine which was mounted with screws to the ceiling of the locker. I didn’t think that was sufficient for the heavier Magnum so I took out the helm seat, drilled some holes and used bolts with large washers to mount it.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Sorry, check that…it’s in the starboard closet that’s directly under lower helm! I had a sun stroke moment there….
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you Alan. I believe I’m going to go that route also as I agree suspending that weight feels like it should be done with through bolts.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66