Power Issue

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Re: Power Issue

Post by MikeH »

Since we're on the subject of power issues ...

I've got a 2011 Xantrex Freedom with remote panel.

When on Shore Power, I normally run one power cord into the lower Shore Power 1 connection, then turn Shore Power 1 ON, and Parallel Bus A & B ON, Inverter Enable Switch OFF.

This energizes the 120 volt panel, except for the 120 volt outlets. In order to energize the outlets, I turn the inverter ON at the remote panel (Inverter Enable switch at the switch panel is still OFF.)

When running the microwave and coffee maker, it is still pulling power off the 12v system. For example, when turning on the coffee maker, there's a voltage drop on the 12v side that shuts down the refrigerator - it powers back up when the coffee's done. Or I used the 120v vacuum for about an hour and it took the house batteries down to low (they're in bad shape anyway.)

Do you think I have the switches set correctly?

Any insights ? The inverter's old, so maybe it's time for a new one.
Attachments
Switch Panel.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

With our system, if 120v breaker to Inverter is in off position then the inverter is not energized and therefore no outlets will be energized. A/C, water heater and Microwave circuits are powered by shore power or generator only. If you’re inverter breaker is off there should be not power to outlets but, with shore power on as described microwave, A/C’s and WH should still work. Hope that helps. We just replaced old inverter with new Victron system.
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

We still have the original Prosine. We can (and do) turn the inverter off (disable) at the Prosine control panel when connected to shore power. All our 120V outlets work fine (same if the generator is running).

We have not experienced it, but were told that if the inverter unit fails, you lose the ability to have 120V to the outlets from the generator or shore power.

Our microwave draws far too much power for the inverter to handle it, so it is shore or generator only.

Even great batteries get taxed heavily when you use an inverter for heavy loads. Fast depletion due to high current (100A or so) is simply hard on them and will shorten their life.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

[quote=deising post_id=16406 time=1652196627 user_id=35103
We have not experienced it, but were told that if the inverter unit fails, you lose the ability to have 120V to the outlets from the generator or shore power.
[/quote]

Yes. I believe that’s how we are wired now
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

deising wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:30 am
Our microwave draws far too much power for the inverter to handle it, so it is shore or generator only.
We installed new 600AH lithium house bank. We can run the microwave for short periods with no issue. If we’re using the convection oven then its a good idea to fire up generator. It’s still a bit of work in progress to see best way to use microwave/convection oven.
Thanks,mark
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Same as what Dwayne said for us too. We only power the AC appliances with either shore power or generator, never off the inverter. So far - knock on wood - the original Prosine inverter is still doing the job for us.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks everyone for your info !!
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade