Hydraulic oil leak at Flybridge Helm

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Hydraulic oil leak at Flybridge Helm

Post by AMCarter3 »

I have slow leak of hydraulic oil at the Flybridge helm. It appears to be coming from the steering wheel shaft. The steering system seems to be operating normally and I do not see any leaks anywhere else in the hydraulic hoses. Does anyone have advise on how to deal with this issue? I'm assuming it might be a gasket around the steering wheel shaft. I plan to call Seastar, but thought I'd ask all of you too.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hydraulic oil leak at Flybridge Helm

Post by duetto »

hi mac,

if it's leaking from under wheel and onto black hub, the most common problem in that area is the seal on shaft under the steering wheel. seastar has a kit which you can get from west, among others. you pull the wheel off, remove 3 screws in plate, remove plate, then pop out the seal and re-assemble. with that said i had the same leak last season. i got the kit but the leak stopped on its own. i suspect i piece of grit got under seal in the off season and worked its way out.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

John, that is really good to hear. My slow leak has ben happening for over a year. A very thin line of oil slowly runs down the fiberglass directly below the wheel shaft. Sometimes less or none and sometimes continuous. If I slide a folded paper towel up under the black wheel shaft cover, it picked up oil traces,

So, I’ll contact West Marine about the kit. I assume I’ll need some kind of nut puller to get the wheel off. Is that right?

Thanks very much!
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Mac Carter
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mac,

that's the kit. actually i didn't do it (it fixed itself) but had it done earlier by yard. i was there and mechanic just put arm pulling and then i whacked the nut with lead hammer.

james power may want to weigh in on this.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

A 3 jaw puller will do the trick to remove the wheel. Some are more stubborn then others. Whacking the shaft is not the best for the pump.

James
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Gentle tapping to set up some vibration with the puller in place can be helpful, but solid whacks are not advisable.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Good, timely advice. I watched several YouTube videos - all of them advised loosening the nut and whacking it with a hammer a few times to break the wheel loose. I will try to find a 3-jaw puller.
Mac Carter
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

James or Duane, could you be a bit more specific about what kind and size of 3-arm puller works to pull the steering wheel? I went to our local O’Reillys auto parts store and they rent or sell a variety of 2&3 arm pullers. Are the puller arms supposed to grab behind 3 spikes on the wheel?
Mac Carter
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Mac, I have not done this particular job yet. My comment was to reinforce that whacking a shaft on a pump like this with any force can cause damage and is not advisable.

That said, I have just ordered some seals myself and will be looking at the job before long.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mac,

3 arm puller is needed to fit between 5 spoke wheel. i think the thing you care about is the thicknessof the jaw that goes between hub & the wheel. obviously needs to be thin enough to fit. other dimension is the radius of the arms to allow a straight pull outside of the wheel hull.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

As John said the important things are 3 jaws and they have to fit between the hub and pump face, sometimes requiring grinding down depending on the puller arm dimensions. I have use from a 3 to an 8 inch puller for the removal. Also work clean.

James