Hose lengths- head to holding tank, macerator to overboard seacock

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
makala
skipper
skipper

Hose lengths- head to holding tank, macerator to overboard seacock

Post by makala »

Does anyone know the lengths of hose needed for the 1" sanitation hose

1) From the head to the holding tank
and
2) From the macerator to the overboard seacock

Just looking to order the hose and I'm not at the boat. It looked a little tricky to measure due to the looping/curves.

This is a 2006 but I would think most models are the same or nearly the same (I will add a couple feet to be safe).

Thanks!
Doug
B-Side
MV 34 #102 100 HP
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Hose lengths- head to holding tank, macerator to overboard seacock

Post by AMCarter3 »

i've replaced those hoses, but have no idea of their exact length. I just took out the old hose, measured it, added 10-12 inches (so I had more than I needed) and went to the marine store to buy it.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Hey Doug,
We should have discussed this at Green Turtle. I just did this project in February.
1. The hose is 1 1/2" except for about 2' of 1" at the toilet. there is a 1" x 1 1/2" reducer under the floor near the toilet.
2. My boat has a manual overboard pump, not electric, it is mounted forward of the hatch on the ceiling in the holding tank compartment. I used 32' of 1 1/2" and 2' of 1" hose. If your macerator is in a different location you would need to adjust you length.
3. I used Raritan Saniflex. It is the most flexible, odor resistant, and expensive. It is worth every penny. The flexibility really helps getting under the shower. The "aroma" we always had instantly went away when the old hoses left. Could not be happier.
4. My best install trick is to get a 1 1/2" hose barb coupling (tractor supply). Connect new to old and one person guide (not really pull) the old hose out while the other person pushes the new hose in. Works like a champ. There is a quite a tight bend under the shower and this worked great.
5. Defender had the best price I found on hose. I also ordered a new 1 x 1 1/2 reducer but could have reused the old one.
6. The entire job took about 4 hours.

Hope this helps,

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Thanks Rafe!

My system (2006) had 10' of the 1.5" diameter hose (tank to diverter, diverter to pump out, diverter to diaphragm pump) and 22' of 1" hose (toilet to holding tank and diaphragm pump to thru hull). So the total length still matched your 32'. I used the Raritan Saniflex from Defender and wow is it nice stuff. The aroma is gone!

My main objective was to replace the jabsco macerating pump that wouldn't prime with the Whale diaphragm pump, but in the meantime I wanted to go through the whole system and I'm glad I did (the jabsco actually stopped priming the day after seeing you at GTC- I had to manually put the pump in a bucket of saltwater to prime it and then quickly attach it to the diverter tube, it was yucky). I also rebuilt the toilet at the same time (new seals and joker valve).
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I just replaced my hoses with the Raritan Saniflex also. Head to holding tank and macerator to through hull was just shy of 22 feet. My macerator is mounted on the bulkhead that backs up to the shower. I used 7 feet. I did not use the old hoses to pull the new. I fished the new ones in from the holding tank side and it was not to difficult.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines