Replace Windlass

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Replace Windlass

Post by AMCarter3 »

My Lewmar Pro Series 1000 windlass has crashed. The small "motor pinion" gear is completely stripped. I think the rest of the unit is OK. I'm searching for a replacement part. I'm also considering replacing the entire windlass. My question is... If I have to replace the windlass, has anyone done this? If so, how did you access the mounting bolts in the ceiling of the chain locker. I don't see how a human being can get inside that locker. Is there some other way to gain access to the mounting nuts?
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Replace Windlass

Post by duetto »

hi,

we had this done about 5 years ago. we replaced the original (genius?) with the lewmar pro series. i'm not near the boat now but i'm pretty sure they cut an access panel on the port side with access from the fuel tank locker hatch. they made a "starboard" plate for a base to cover the original holes. it actually came out pretty nice.

hope this helps.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Interesting. After I sent my message, I recalled that there already is a 5" diameter round hole in the starboard wall of the fuel tank locker. It's up high, so it should give easy access to the windlass mounting gear. I'm about 98% sure I'm going to replace the 15 yr old windlass. It's the smart thing to do since we run this as a "charter" boat.
Mac Carter
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

mac,

our boat didn't have the access port from the factory. i actually had to tighten the bolts after the initial install. you will still need some long arms.

on another note, we've been very pleased with the performance of the lewmar.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I am going to replace the windlass with a new Lewmar Pro Series 1000. Thanks for the help.
Mac Carter