Servicing Rudder Posts

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Servicing Rudder Posts

Post by John&Ria »

One of the recommendations I received from a recent marine survey (for insurance) is to adjust the packing glands and clean up the surface corrosion on the rudder posts (there is a minor leak with both posts). While I've done this job in the past, more recently I've had it done it done professionally. The posts and packing glands were last serviced in 2017, while the boat was out of the water for maintenance.

Today a service technician - from a firm I have not used before - declined to do the work while the boat was in the water. He felt the adjustment mechanisms are too close to the waterline.

What is the experience of other forum members - do you make adjustments while your boat is in the water, or wait until it's on the hard?

Thanks for any advice you can share.
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: Servicing Rudder Posts

Post by deising »

Just FYI - we have owned our boat since Jan 2015 and never seen a drop of leakage, so have never touched the glands on the rudder posts.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

I had a similar recommendation when we bought our boat in 2016. I had the rudder packing replaced by the boat yard when the boat was hauled out. I don’t think this job should be done in the water.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks Dwayne and Mac for your responses. I don't think the packing needs to be replaced, just adjusted, but you never know. I found an earlier thread on this topic where James Power suggested that servicing can be done in-water, provided the boat is riding sufficiently high in the stern for the mechanisms to be above the water line. I believe this will be the case for our boat, particularly if the dinghy is removed. I'm going to have another marine outfit have a look at it, and see what they have to say.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

a few years back i added packing with the boat in the water with no leakage or problems. before you start make sure that the rudder arm clamp is tight. at least on hull 23 i had to remove the safety bolt which goes into the shaft above the packing nut. this bolt has to be removed to allow packing nut to be totally unscrewed to add/replace packing.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks for sharing your experience John. Pleased to hear you had no issues while the boat was in the water. Curious, roughly how long did it take to complete the job?
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

John and Ria,

Yes adjusting the rudder packing gland can be done in the water, repacking also if in a pinch. The gland design is the same used for propeller shafts that are further below water line and should be addressed in the water to get proper adjustment.

One reason to remove the corrosion ( verdigris ) is to inspect the bronze for signs of pitting, or dezincification which will show as a pink colour of the metal. The verdigris actually provides a layer of protection for the metal, much the same way as rust on unpainted steel bridges, or the patina on the Statue of Liberty, which after the 1986 restoration the surface was sprayed with a solution to promote the green patina that we see today.

Hope this helps
James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

it's not a complicated job. you want to insert the packing so that the ends DON'T align. that said, it's the usual when it's the first time you do it....fat fingers, etc. my guess, plan an hour on the star side....longer on port just because it's tough to get at. i would go in day 1 and get everthing loose and study the problem. then day 2 actually do packing. if you're just adjusting the nuts this is a total of a couple of hours.

i used "conventional" packing but there are newer moldable products that i'd look at. i actually looked into tides marine dripless rudder seals. that was way overkill.

good luck.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

James and John, thanks for the additional information, it's appreciated. Hopefully an adjustment is all that's required. That said, I will plan to get the the glands repacked the next time the boat is out of the water.

Based on their colour, it would appear that the bronze parts have a acquired a fair amount of verdigris (learned a new term today). I will look for a pink colour/pitting when I do the cleanup.
Attachments
20210922_141507_001.jpg
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

looks pretty clean to me
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

The rudder glands were adjusted today. It took about 45 minutes to complete both sides. There were no issues with the posts or other parts. Because the packing is likely original, the technician recommended a repack the next time the boat is out of the water for maintenance.

Thanks again to all who commented.

John
Lyons Pride
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Lyons Pride »

im glad someone brought this up.....my port side is leaking but of course the water heater is quite the obstacle to get around so I am wondering for those who did adjust or repack the gland did you remove the water heater? I was able to do the prop shaft packing while the boat was in the water with no problem as the bilge pump was able to keep up with the water flow while i did it.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i did not remove the water heater. i've done the steering rams twice as well as packing. get some high density foam cushions about 1-1/2" thick and lay them on heater. then pretend you're superman and stretch out. good to have lois lane around when it comes time to pull you out.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

things i forgot: 1) remove battery 2) at least on hull #23, remove the engine exhaust fan
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23