Motor mounts Is it time to have a closer look!

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Motor mounts Is it time to have a closer look!

Post by boathead »

First off I want to say I believe in the phrase "if it aint broke don't fix it". When I was doing my own pre-purchase check prior to purchasing our boat I found the engine rooms to be in shit order but when scanning over the engine mounts they looked a bit rusty around the edges but overall OK. WRONG!!! At the time I didn't know what I was looking at. Prior to this I had always associated bad motor mounts on various machines evidenced by rotting ,cracked ,or collapsing rubber cushions.
Our motor mounts don't fail in that way. The 2 main rubber blocks stay looking good and intact but the bond between the rubber and steel body is where they fail.( See attached photos.) I would suggest if your mounts are 10 years or older are they probably suspect. Most engine manufacturers indicate a 5 yr life span, I'd double that unless there's a known issue.

To check your mounts you need a mirror and a mini flashlight. If your mounts are rusty especially at the edges they are likely starting to fail or they may have already failed . A shaft wobble , harsh noises in rough seas would be an indicator but the only way to know for sure is to lift the motor and see if you see the rubber separate. They won't all go bad at the same time but if they are of a certain age it's only a matter of time.
Attachments
IMG_2181.JPG
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Motor mounts Is it time to have a closer look!

Post by boathead »

IMG_2182.JPG
Attachments
http://www.pdqforum.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1292&sid=4444e1282d5d4ba2fed545a49c25f394
http://www.pdqforum.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1292&sid=4444e1282d5d4ba2fed545a49c25f394
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Post by boathead »

Attachments
IMG_2183.JPG
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Wow, thanks for sharing your findings, the community appreciates it.

Looking forward to your write-up on how you removed and replaced them in situ!

Thanks,
Doug