Motor mount removal /replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Motor mount removal /replacement

Post by boathead »

Unless you are nibble, can make yourself small, and are relatively fit, this is a job that you should farm out. It is a bytch, it's a back breaker, you are going to torture yourself, steal your wife's yoga mat because your going to need it.
These days when I tackle something new to me I always go to Youtube university to review the subject. There wasn't much there but this is worth a look YouTube engine mount change Yanmar 2gm20f Sailing Seasaw. It's much more difficult that this chaps project.

Before you start get yourself organized and allow plenty of time.This is what I found, what I used, and how I did it.
Wear the slimmest footwear you can find .
Tools and supplies
Marker pen
small wire brushes
long handled gasket scrapper
mini mag light
various mirrors
YOGA MAT
seal pick
vacum
swivel headed 3/8 racket
short handled 3/8 racket
3/8 wobble socket extension bar set (plus standard extensions various lengths) (9 pc variety Amazon $30)
14 mm reversible combination wrench
3/8 14mm short and long reach socket
17 mm 1/2 socket
24 mm 1/2 socket (plus various extensions)
good quality air impact wrench
pancake air compressor
port-a -power ( hydraulic body shop tool) Harbour freight (this used to support /lift the engine) Nothing else would fit, tried all manner of scissor jacks.
You can use the mount adjusters to lift and blocks of wood, but the port-a-power gives you better control. Don't make life harder than it needs to be get the tool.
variety of blocks of wood, short pieces of decking board were handy.
PB blaster
small amount of paint stripper
tub of Lanocote
roll of paper towels

Just getting this stuff together will save you time and pain. The less jumping in and out of the engine the better. An assistant is always nice.

to be continued
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)