Fuel Polishing

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Fuel Polishing

Post by esheufelt »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum and new to PDQ almost (Close next week). I'm looking for recommendations for a fuel polish/tank cleaning service that covers the Port Canaveral area? Also has anyone added inspection ports to their fuel tanks? If so how many did you have to add to deal with internal baffles?

Eddie
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Fuel Polishing

Post by AMCarter3 »

Eddie,

We had our fuel tanks polished in 2019. Access hatches were added to both tanks -- one to the forward AUX tank and two to the aft MAIN tank. I have a pic (attached) of the forward AUX tank hatch, but am having difficulty uploading a pic of the main tank hatches. I'll verify there are two hatches on the main tank and send you a picture later this week.

They also cut large holes in the vertical baffles in order to clean the main tank. They told me, and I believe it, that the holes would not have any discernible effect on fuel movement underway. I'll also try again to upload a pic of them. (Or, send me your email address and I'll send the pics to you.)
Attachments
Fwd Fuel tank Access.jpg
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Post by esheufelt »

Thanks, the baffles are the challenge for sure. I didn't notice any weld spots or lines along the top to tell me where there were.

One odd thing on our forward tank is that the builders test label said the capacity was 500 liters/130 Gallons. I don't think that's possible but it's on the test cert label.

Eddie
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Post by esheufelt »

I've added inspection ports to both fuel tanks. Glad I did because there is pretty heavy bio contamination. I'm going to try one of the polishing services that claims they can disperse and filter the sludge without mechanical scrubbing. I'll be able to tell. And in the future I can suck out any water in the lowest point.

I'm going to move the forward tank sender aft to the deep section of the tank to get a better measurement. I'd rather manage my reserve with knowledge instead of hope:)
Attachments
IMG_20220127_051228.jpg
PXL_20220123_200746322.jpg
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Post by esheufelt »

I ended up using USA Fuels. The forward tank had so much water he gave up after and hour of circulation and we pumped it out as waste. The aft tank had about 70 gallons in it. He went through 3 complete filter set changes so 9 large filters in all to get it clean. Really glad I had this done.
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the group! What kind of access plates did you use and what did you use to cut the tanks for them?

Also, before installing the plates how did you know you had a problem, was this evident in the racors? Was fuel sitting in the tanks for a really long time?

We are lucky enough to burn a good amount of fuel so its not sitting in our tank for more than a couple months. Our racors always look clean but i want to know what i should be looking out for. Also, i dont add any fuel treatments because we havent had any issues. But maybe I should for prevention???

Thanks,
Doug Hull No. 102 100 hp Sebastian River Marina, FL

Thanks
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We have used a Diesel Biocide with every fill up since we purchased the boat six years ago. It will not cure a problem once you have growth in the tank, it is designed to prevent prevent growth. So, if you do not have a problem now, I would recommend using it. If have a problem, it needs to be taken care of before using a biocide. We have not had any fuel issues and the filters seem to last without getting excessively dirty.
Attachments
IMG_3126.jpeg
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
esheufelt
deckhand
deckhand

Post by esheufelt »

Hi Doug,

I used access plates from "Sea Built". Fisheries Supply in Seattle carries it but I suspect you can find them elsewhere. I used the 8" plates that use a 6" hole. That makes it easier because you can get a 6" hole saw pretty easily. I ended up using a jigsaw and that was challenging. Spent a lot of time making sure I placed it so I could make the turn. Took an hour planning and 45 minutes installing.

I knew there was a problem from the 3" of sludge in the bowl of the Racor filters. I think if you run through enough fuel and treat regularly you probably won't have a bio issue. Water is another matter.

Really glad I added them so i don't have to guess about the tank state.

I wonder about the water issue for the forward tank, I've heard of 2 boats that had leaks. There is a lot of slope to the bottom of the tank and the pickups can't get into that bottom corner so the water accumulates forever. I'm going to try to figure out if I believe the advertising for the additives that claim to put the water into solution. I've seen a lot if info both ways. No problem or destroys your injectors. If nothing else every couple of years i'll pull the plate and suck out a gallon off the bottom corner of the tank.
dstrecker1
skipper
skipper

Post by dstrecker1 »

Prior to getting the PDQ I had a sailboat with a 40 gallon aluminum fuel tank. I added a six inch diameter inspection port and discovered that there was pitting at the lowest point in the tank where some water had accumulated. Luckily I caught it in time and was able to repair the tank before a leak developed. Other than the small amount of water the fuel was clean. Since than, and based on an article in Practical Sailor, I started using Starbrite Star-Tron fuel treatment to the fuel. Years later prior to selling the boat I checked the fuel and found it to be free of water. Not sure it was the Star-Tron but I started using it in the PDQ this past year. Still, I would like to add inspection ports to both tanks, preferably near or right above the lowest point in the tanks and away from any baffles. Does anyone know where this would be in each tank? The other question I have, where does the fuel go after a leak develops? In a sailboat it just goes into the bilge above the keel, but not so sure about the PDQ. I would hope there would be an easy way to remove the fuel from the boat if a leak did developed. I would also be interested to learn what condition the interior of the tanks were in that had the inspection ports added.

Dennis and Cindy Strecker
2006 PDQ 34
100 hp engines
makala
skipper
skipper

Post by makala »

Thanks, I read the practical sailor article and have purchased both biobor jf and startron diesel!

Doug