Northern Lights air filter change/check

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
scgck
deckhand
deckhand

Northern Lights air filter change/check

Post by scgck »

Hi Everyone,
As the new owner of the Expatriate, about 4 months ago, I have been following this forum with much interest.
I can’t begin to list all the valuable information I have gathered from you guys. Thank You !
As I ready the boat for the Loop one of the things I have not been able to gather much info on is air filter inspection or replacement on the Lugger M673 generator engine.
It appears the valve cover has to be removed for this inspection. Other than gaskets, checking valve clearance and checking torque on cylinder head is there anything else that should be done with the valve cover removed?
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the previous owners of the Expatriate, Tim and Jo Anne .
Their help and patience during the transition while we became familiar with the boat was invaluable.
The previous stewardship of the Expatriate was exemplary and we hope to continue this tradition for the future owners whenever that may be.
Thanks in advance for your input,
Chris

Expatriate Hull 068
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: Northern Lights air filter change/check

Post by makala »

Check the sensor ground wires for fatigue/corrosion, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3743

Thanks,
Doug
kentmckee
deckhand
deckhand

Post by kentmckee »

I recently discovered that there was no air filter element in the in the valve cover/intake housing on our genset. Northern Lights specifies that industrial gensets must not be operated without a filter. Interestingly many Yanmar engines simply have an intake silencer but no air filter element. I can only guess that the marine environment doesn’t expose engines to enough dust to cause concern to the manufacturers.
I installed a new filter element on our genset without removing the valve cover. You can compress the element and squeeze it in from the left side. The genset is noticeably quieter with it installed.
Paint the Sky
MV 34 # 44
75s, 4 blade
scgck
deckhand
deckhand

Post by scgck »

Thanks for the information.
This generator definitely has a filter element as I can feel it in the housing.
I’m guessing that the valves haven’t been adjusted in a while.( recommended every 1000hrs )
This gen is just shy of 2000 hrs. Otherwise running good.
I’d like to keep it that way.
Thanks again for the reply.
Chris

Expatriate Hull 068