Yanmar starter relay

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: Yanmar starter relay

Post by AMCarter3 »

Also, a Yanmar 4JH3-HTE engine does not have glowplugs. It uses only compression to ignite the fuel.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
Ortolan
skipper
skipper

Post by Ortolan »

Re-locating the starter solenoids is an excellent idea, which I just did, as with the intercoolers removed for maintenance, was a bit easier.

Just a quick note: If yours has 4 wires to the solenoid - no problem - just move to a clear spot on the inner hull. IF only 3 wires (as mine was) you must add a 4th wire - a ground to the bracket of the solenoid (being originally bolted to the starter provided the ground).
Russ
Twin Sisters
PRIOR Owners of a 2006 MV34
www.esc-pod.com
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Thanks, Russ!

By the way to all on this thread... After 8 weeks of troubleshooting, we finally appear to have solved our start issue on our port engine. We went from 100% failure to start (30 to 90 mins after shutting down) to 100% successful instant starts cold or warm in one step.

The culprit was the fuel STOP solenoid. We had eliminated bad fuel, air in the fuel line, injectors, and electrical ignition. We were left with either the fuel stop solenoid valve or the entire fuel pump system (a $5200 repair). So, my diesel tech guy injected 2 ozs of Diesel Kleen in the fuel filter and tapped 3 times lightly with a wrench on the solenoid valve. On the next try, the engine started normally. We did about 14 tests starts (cold and warm). In every test, the engine started instantly.

As a further precaution and because we running a charter business with our boat, we replaced the fuel stop solenoid valve today. Again, after several tests, the engines starts instantly every time.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229