Engine Battery Switch

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
scgck
deckhand
deckhand

Engine Battery Switch

Post by scgck »

So after about a 6 hr run yesterday we got to our anchorage and settled in. I turned the port ignition switch back on to check the ending tach time for the log and got nothing from the port engine. No alarm, no lights , nothing. The battery was good but there was no power at the starter. I verified the battery switch was on as I have not turned it off for 8 weeks or so while on the boat.
I gave the switch a few turns around and problem solved. Corroded contacts I guess . This item is now on my pre flight.
Chris
Expatriate
Hull 068
kentmckee
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Engine Battery Switch

Post by kentmckee »

You probably have a Blue Seas battery switch. The 9006 series had a failure issue due to a construction flaw. The switch/ contact mechanism was anchored to the switch frame with tiny screws that screwed into plastic. The later version (6006) uses the long screws that mount the switch thru a mounting bulkhead. Much more substantial. I’ve replaced two of the 9006 models after experiencing intermittent starting issues with my starboard engine. Upon removal the original fell apart in my hand. Replaced the port switch also as a precaution. Genset has the 9006 model but it seldom is cycled. Oddly, the house battery bank is the later 6006 unit.
Paint the Sky
MV 34 # 44
75s, 4 blade
scgck
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Engine Battery Switch

Post by scgck »

Good to know
Thanks
Chris
Expatriate