Replace aft air conditioner

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Harold Small
deckhand
deckhand

Replace aft air conditioner

Post by Harold Small »

My old Mermaid 6,000 BTU air conditioner cooling the staterooms has died. I'd appreciate guidance on how to remove and replace the unit. The access panels are too small to pull out the old unit. Looks like I need to remove a wall panel in the starboard stateroom. Also, I welcome suggestions on what unit to purchase, and an installer in, or near, St Petersburg, FL. Thanks
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Replace aft air conditioner

Post by duetto »

hi harold,

again i preface this by saying we have an older hull. with that said, i've had our rear a/c out thru the existing access panel. i replaced the pan and reinstalled.

i replaced a 12K cruisair with a 10K from https://www.flowmarinesystems.com on our mainship. they gave me a great deal at a boatshow and it's worked really well.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Harold Small
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Harold Small »

Oops! I just remeasured and I'm pretty sure the old unit can be removed through the access panel. So now I'm looking for guidance on product selection and St Pete installer. Thanks
Harold Small
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Harold Small »

Thanks John, I have Florida Marine Engineers in St Pete on my list to call Monday. They are one of the authorized dealers for Flow Marine.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

The access panels into the aft air conditioner space are different sizes port and starboard on our boat. I believe the starboard panel is larger and our unit fit through fine. Good luck.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Harold Small
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Harold Small »

Thanks John, I have Florida Marine Engineers in St Pete on my list to call Monday. They are one of the authorized dealers for Flow Marine.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We had both our units replaced about 4 years ago by James Power. We used a Dometic DTU8, 8,000 BTU in the aft. James has installed a number of new units and he told me he was putting a spacer under one end to angle the unit to drain better. He said they all need it.

We used a Dometic DTU16 forward. Both have worked great and cool the boat well in the Florida summers.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines