Boat Wrap Instead of Paint

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Boat Wrap Instead of Paint

Post by MikeH »

I'm posting this on behalf of Maurice and Rene on Norcat . They just had their hulls wrapped with Every or 3M (instead of painting).

Maurice says:
"Honestly, we are very satisfied with the product. It took 3 days to be installed.
2 persons … has to be done indoors.
Looks great and affordable
$4000 US
Good for 10 to 15 years.
No need to wax ….just wash with water -soft soap.
Fenders need to be covered with soft material to keep the finish glossy."

Folks are concerned about scratching the wrap, like when you brush up against piling, or like when a Bavaria 46 hits you on your mooring, for instance. There are YouTube videos that show repairs, which look fairly simple. Here's the O'Kelly's. The repair is at the start of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PriaMmB5c&t=704s (they also have videos on the wrap process, just search O'Kelly's Boat Wrap in the YouTube search bar.)

Maurice and Rene are cruising, so if he doesn't see your posts, I'll gather up the questions and get the answers posted.
Attachments
Wrapped Port.jpg
Wrapped Bow.jpg
Wrap 1.jpg
Wrap 2.jpg
Wrap 3.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Boat Wrap Instead of Paint

Post by chrishead »

Warning! Stay away from Maurice and Renee! We spent last winter on a mooring next to them in Stuart where they were relentless with their boat chores and improvements. Every morning we would peek out to see what work they were doing. We knew we were slackers when I saw Renee's legs sticking out of the forward lockers that she was painting. The next day she was painting the lockers on the fly bridge. And yes, of course they also painted the engine compartments... before they painted the decks. Okay, maybe we're a little jealous because they also installed all new electronics. Seriously, their boat is better than new and they are a lot of fun!
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

... but, most of all, get prepared for Maurice's jokes !! He really sucks you in with a story. The Mining Engineers Headlamp is my favorite.

If you think they're tough, try being next to Taryn Aweigh and watching Taryn clean her deck with a toothbrush !!
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
ONEEYEDJACKASS
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ONEEYEDJACKASS »

Very Cool. 😉
Mark & Dea Goldsmith
BLACKBIRD
PDQ 34-114
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

I hate to be the negative guy but here goes. We looked into wrap versus paint about 2.5 years ago. The wraps are a good alternative and much cheaper. We wanted the hull done, the flybridge outside and inside and inside the hull steps. Basically everything but the deck which could not be wrapped.

The hull and outside of the flybridge were fairly straightforward, but the inside of the flybridge was going to have small pieces and lots of seams. Two places recommended against doing the inside of the flybridge. The larger issue for us was the anticipated lifespan. Do a search on marine wraps and you will see words like "up to seven years" or "lasts 5-7 years." 3M is a major manufacturer of wraps and warranties them for 3 years. We wanted something that would last longer and be able to be used on the entire boat so we went with a high quality paint job. Maintenance is much less than fiberglass. They told me is was a lot like a modern car finish from a maintenance standpoint and it is. 2.5 years later it still looks perfect.

Although we are happy with our choice, wraps may be the right answer for some owners.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines