dingy

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjones

dingy

Post by bjones »

any advise on size and type of dingy and motor for the MV 34 ?
Lead Free Too

dinghy

Post by Lead Free Too »

Part of the answer comes from how u will use the dinghy. If u are going to really use the dinghy, as in going from the boat to shore a mile or so away, u need a dinghy that has big tubes and a flat, hard floor. This will give u a dry ride and the comfort of not stepping on "stuff" that has moved around the bottom of the dingy. We have a 9' Caribe with an 8 hp Yamaha. This will plane with both of us aboard. It fits the davits and with the right purchase or lift mechanicsm, u don't have to take the engine off each time u take it up.
Any questions, email me at leadfree01@aol.com
Sharon
boonesh
deckhand
deckhand

Post by boonesh »

I bought my 34 in October of 2003, had a Lagoon 380 before. I put a 11ft dinghy with a 25hp motor on my 34. I was tired of getting wet in a 9ft dinghy, and could never get 4 people in with gear.

With the 11 ft we can put in dive gear or stores and still have room for people and confort. Also can travel a nice distance with good speed :)
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

dingy

Post by Gadzooks! »

We use a Aquapro 9' rigid inflateable. It is nicely made and the hull is aluminum. It fits nicely between the hulls on the PDQ-supplied davits. It is also lightweight - around 70 lbs, I think. With our 5 hp Nissan 2-stroke, it planes easily with one 200 pounder aboard. It does not plane with two. It works well for transportation to and from shore, and for setting crab traps. Don't think I'd want to use it for anything long distance. We use the 5 hp because that is what we had from our previous boat. If I were starting from scratch, I'd use the maximum recommended by the manufacturer.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

dink

Post by ELIXIR »

Rob talked me out of using my 11' RIb and I am getting an Apex 10' Lite rib. With the engine he says I will still have to pull the bow to the side to clear the engine on the stern of the dink.
Agree 9' dinks too small, too wet unless there are only 2 people in closed waters.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Hello all, my first post here as we are having hull#68 built and will be bringing her down in May to the Chesapeake. I am glad this subject has been discussed as I need to know how stout the davits are on the 34. Looking at Ribs and would like to be able to keep the outboard on during a cruise but dont want to damage the davits. How much weight and length can the davits handle w/motor attached. Looking at a 9 footer w/10hp four stroke. Thanks Sandy :D :D
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

dink

Post by ELIXIR »

RE last inquiry. Look at the Apex lite series. Without the flat deck you loose about 40 #'s over the regular RIB. Also if you're going for a 10hp 4 stroke get the 15...same size and wt. but 50% more power tht'll let you plain a 10' even with 4 adults. The specs on the davits vary depending on the pdq literature 200-250#'s. The issue is the heavy engine in heavy weather. The davits look heavy but they have had some owners have problems with over weighted dinks in the past.
Rob at PDQ says with a 10' dink and engine in place you will need to pull the bow over for the engine to clear the other hull. A 9' doesn't need that adjustment but...see the earlier comment about 9' vs 10' which is mine. I had a 11' RIB before and loved it. I have ridden often in 9' RIB's and they simply are too small and too wet in open water with long runs.