Yanmar Oil Capacity

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Yanmar Oil Capacity

Post by Gadzooks! »

I change oil using a vacuum pump arrangement that sucks oil out through the dipstick tube. It seems to work OK - done with the oil thoroughly warmed. But the Yanmar 4JH3 manual seems to indicate a 6-7 liter capacity, and I never get that much out - falling short by perhaps a liter or two.

What's wrong here? Am I misreading the manual? Am I wrong in assuming the dipstick tube draws from quite near the bottom of the oil pan?

Wally Gilliam MV Gadzooks! Hull #33
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33

Oil Capacity

Post by Guest »

We have the same problem. I don't think the dipstick route ever gets all the oil out of the pan. On our boat we get another quart at least pouring out when we remove the oil filter (not from the filter). Haven't found a solutioin other than several oil absorbent pads to catch the stuff. Would be happy to have guidance on alternatives.
Lead Free Too

oil change

Post by Lead Free Too »

When we first got the boat and started doing oil changes, we worried about getting all the old oil out too. Then, Larry talked to the Yanmar guys at the Annapolis Boat Show. They said not to worry about it, so we don't. One thing we have learned to do is, with Larry on one end of the engine and me on the other, we align a double bagged garbage bag under the filter and catch as much of the oil and the filter that we can. He uses a rubber strapped wrench, the kind u can find in 2 sizes at Home Depot, to loosen the filter. We have it down now so that we lose very little under the engine. (HInt: use 2 different double bagged garbage bags for each side.) If we have a gungy absobing pad, we throw that in the garbage bag to absorbe some of the oil.
Sharon of Lead Free Too
PS There is NO plug on the bottom of our engines.
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Yanmar Oil Change

Post by Gadzooks! »

Thanks Larry and Sharon.

One useful tip that someone (forgot who) told me is to loosen the filter so you can turn it with your fingers. Then make a small hole at the top of the filter with a drill, an awl, or most any pointed object - easy to do for most filters. Then rotate the filter 180 degrees so the hole is at the bottom. Let it drain into the garbage bag whatever other arrangement you have for catching the oil. In this way, you can drain almost all the oil from the filter under conditions easier to control than when you take the filter all the way off.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33