75 vs 100 HP Engines?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

75 vs 100 HP Engines?

Post by Sno' Dog »

We're just back from a Sunsail M/V 34 charter in Florida. (We loved our 4 1/2 days aboard). Our Sunsail boat, with its keel shoe, cruised at about 14 kts at 3250 rpm. We used 74 gallons of fuel to go 225 miles - which works out to 3 mi/gal; we burned about 3.5 gal/hr.

As we will soon be making option choices on our new boat ("Sno' Dog"), we're looking for some feedback on the engine question. So far, there's nothing on the PDQ website about the larger engines. Being an engineer, I've looked at the Yanmar curves and concluded that the 100-hp engine can produce the same power as the 75 at a lower RPM and at slightly less fuel consumption. But I suspect any possible saving would quickly disappear due to the human tendency to "use what you got" and so run faster and therefore burn more fuel. There seems to be lots of anecdotal info that folks are averaging around 4 gal/hr with the 75-hp engines. I'm wondering if anyone out there has got any data on the 100 hp version? Also, what speeds are you typically seeing?

Henry - in cold, frozen New Hampshire

Post by Guest »

Henry, My wife and I recently had the same descsion to make and chose the 75 Yanmar Turbos. From what I could gather, you only gain about 2 knots of speed with the 100's and each engine is about 45 lbs heavier. We also trialed a "Sunsail" boat w/75's and I was fine with the speed. For us, it's the journey as well as the destination so we don't mind a "slow cruise" and a 14-15 knot cruise for a boat of this layout is terrific for us. I guess it will always be a personal decision but I really don't think you would have any regrets either way. Nice e-mailing with you the other day Henry. Stay well....Sandy Kramer :D :D
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

75 v. 100 engines

Post by Rejoice »

We have the 100s and are glad we do. Crossing Lake Erie that extra power was a godsend in dealing with the waves. Yes, we do run faster at times because we can, but sometimes, that extra speed is very useful, such as when trying to make a bridge opening or a lock getting ready to close. Saved us wait time on several occasions coming down the Illinois and Mississippi last summer.
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

75's vs 100's

Post by ELIXIR »

Note on the web site the comments by 100's owner of having 17 kts cruise speed and burning 6+ gallons an hour. The 75's supposedly burn about 4.5 gallons at 14-15 kts. The statement on the added power in heavy season is true too though. Pros and cons both ways. Engine blocks are the same size so that isn't an issue. Spoke to a # of owners with 75's before ordering mine and they were satisfied. Your call.