engine compartment blowers/extinguishers

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

Post by ELIXIR »

Although I have ordered the extra sound insulation I would think the engine compartments would put out a good bit of heat. Has anyone installed exhaust blowers? Also anticipate installing halon extinguishers which would seem wise. Anyone do so and the cost?
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Interesting question Jim. As far as the use of Halon from what I understand, it is now very expensive stuff. I think Halon is not on the EPA's happy list and is not "Ozone Friendly" along with R-22, Freon etc... Thus the cost for the Halon Gas has risen greatly. Have you considered C-02 for this purpose? C-02 works well on type B and C fires.
As far as the heat, are the engine vents in your opinion inadaquate? I would think that if you can get to the inside of the vent openings, a blower could be installed without too much trouble. Perhaps a seasoned MV34 owner could pipe up about this one.
Sandy Kramer "Mishigas" MV34
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

During our brief Sunsail charter, we used the (PDQ installed) blowers at the end of the day to take heat out of the engine rooms and help cool down the cabins. Worked fine -- except for the gawd-awful noise! We're hoping to find quieter blowers for our Sno'Dog. (For us, it's more about comfort. I'm not sure blowers add much safety to a diesel-powered boat).

Is there such a thing as an exhaust blower? Maybe we're talking about different things?

Henry
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

engine blowers

Post by ELIXIR »

Yes there are 2 kinds. The inline blower is the one typically designed for pulling fumes out of a gas engine room and designed to run a few minutes at a time. The other is designed to run for much longer periods and cool down the compartment. I believe there is a article on the two in the last issue of Passagemaker. Was not aware that PDQ put blowers in though and that does help.

Blowers

Post by Guest »

I think blowers are required by law but not sure about that. Ours were noisy at first until we realized they were attached to the fiberglass decking. We detatched them from the underside of the fiberglass and hung them by plastic ties. Now we can hardly hear them.