Fueling Concerns....

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Fueling Concerns....

Post by Mishigas »

Is it normal for fuel to "burp" out the filler neck when finished fueling. No matter what speed I pump, as soon as I hear the fuel rising I shut the pump and get a bubble "burp"of diesel. Sure it wipes up but someone suggested that perhaps the vent is not working correctly. I do not top off these tanks and have fueled other boats w/out this issue. Am I missing something or should I be doing something different? I don't fuel often :lol: (thanks to MV34) but when I do, I'd like to avoid the spill.
Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS MV34 Hull 68
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

i agree 100%. we use an oil absorber rag around filler. it helps with mess but not the problem.

john cummings

duetto mv 23
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Fuel Burp

Post by Kokomo »

Our PDQ36 gasoline filler does the same thing...
Roger and Bonnie
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Our old PDQ36 gasoline boat used to do the same. Removing the cockpit floor (deck?) I discovered the long vent hose had a sag in it forming a fuel trap which prevented proper venting. I made up several plastic supports and glued them under the vent hose to the top of the aluminum tank so the hose gently slopes uphill to the vent outlet. Voila! no more backups!

Chet
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

It seems like we are treating the symptoms but not the problem. I'll touch base with the factory to see if there is any type of 'recommended" fix for this problem. I know my rear tank vent is on the transom between my windows. I believe there is a device in line to prevent fuel from running out but allowing air to escape. Perhaps it does neither. The investigation continues......Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS MV34 Hull 68
Thing 1 Thing 2
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Thing 1 Thing 2 »

I have the same problem and discussed it with the facory. Unfortunately, they say this problem is common and there's not much that can be done about it. I have found that if you cut an oil absorption rag into a 6 inch by 6 inch square, put a hole in the center large enough for the fuel pump to fit through, and hold the rag over the fuel fill while filling, you generally will not get any fuel on the deck.

You should also check to see if there is any way to shorten the fuel hose as this might help.