battery management

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

battery management

Post by duetto »

hi all,

this topic is targeted at people who anchor out multiple nights in a row and don't run generator to support air conditioning.

what have you found effective in keeping your batteries charged up (i.e. how long do you run generator, how deeply discharged do batteries get between recharge, etc)?

john cummings
duetto mv #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Battery Support

Post by SecondWind »

Second Wind uses a combination of wind generator and solar panels. I have 220-240 watts of solar panels which seem adequate for continuous operation of the fridge, plus other carefully monitored systems, icluding the stereo, video & TV and some lights. The wind generator (Fourwinds) keeps the batterries somewhat charged at night and the panels make up the difference in the daytime. I would add one more solar panel (110-120 watts) to be ideal. I also use a Honda 2000 to suppliment on cloudy or windless days. My 36 has diesels with 2-100 amp Balmars, so when I'm running 12v power is not a problem. None of these systems will run an air-conditioner, so if that is desired, you need to install a generator.

Hope this helps.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have PDQ 36 hull no. 89. I have four 6 volt golf cart batteries with a total of 450 amp hours capacity. My load while cruising is approximately 225 amps every 2 days. I consistently draw down the batteries to 50% and bring them back up to 100% with my Honda 2000 every 2 days (it takes 4 hours). I also have 150 watts of solar panels and their contribution is included. I have outboards for power so the contribution under way is such that they maintain the charge.

I run an Adler Barber for the fridge that draws about 6 amps half the time and a freezer that takes about an average of 1 1/2 - 2 amps /hour. The net result is a usage of 225 amps every two days when at anchor.

I also have a spare Honda 2000. When you are sitting out in this beautiful spot with no one around and your Honda is running... you ask.. What if it quit? The answer is you need to find somewhere to plug in within 2 days or lose everything in your fridge and freezer plus maybe have problems with other boat systems. This is not true if you have diesels.

Let me know if you have questions.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi ron,

what make/model 6V golfcart batteries do you have?

john
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I don't remember the brand. My boat is on the hard about an hour away. The next time I go to the boat, I will check. They were the original equipment from PDQ and made in Canada.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Batteries

Post by SecondWind »

Second Wind uses Trojan T series Golf Cart Batteries
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind