Transmission Fitting Cotter Pins

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Rejoice
1st mate
1st mate

Transmission Fitting Cotter Pins

Post by Rejoice »

A heads up. Two weeks ago we lost control of the port transmission on MV/34-51 due to an improperly intalled cotter pin which holds the barrel bolt which connects the transmission shifitng lever to the transmission control cable. The pin was installed with both wings folded in the same direction and over time the pin worked out, allowing the bolt to wiggle free, and then no control. Fortunately happened at a slow speed.

Checked the other engine this past weekend and found the same situation. Tried bending the wing and the pin fell apart in my hand.

Upshot--we probably ought to make a habit of checking that little cotter pin. Replacements are available to West Marine for about 25 cents (stainless steel).
Anne & Dave Mensel
Rejoice
PDQ MV/34-51
Nashville, TN
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Transmission Cable fittings

Post by Gadzooks! »

You might want to check with the factory on this. They sent me, unsolicited, a retrofit for the transmission shift cable ends. The original was a ball joint fitting, the replacement was a fork with pin. Don't recall whether the pin was secured with a cotter pin or with a machine screw/washer/nut. I have hull #33. Very likely, later models were fitted with the fork as original equipment.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply. PDQ sent us the retrofit also. I think the cotter pin error was the fault of the mechanic who installed the new shift cable ends. I don't think this is a PDQ error.