Good for new boaters?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Newbies

Good for new boaters?

Post by Newbies »

My wife and I have very limited boating experience. Mostly houseboat rentals on the Mississippi River. We're interested in a PDQ 34 a couple years down the road, but we're wondering if it would be an unwise decision for a couple of relatively inexperienced boaters. Thoughts and reactions?

Thanks much.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

from a economical operation and handling perspective, i can't think of a better choice in this size range.

where will you be using it and how will you use it?

john cummings

duetto hull 23

Post by Guest »

Mostly cruising on the upper Mississippi until we have the time and comfort to do the Great Loop.

Are any of the other owners on this site first time boat owners? If so, what kind of training or experience did you have?

Thanks much.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

New Boater, Welcome...I think you will find people with PDQ's have a variety of boating experience. The PC34 is in my opinion a very intuitive boat to learn and handle. My other boat is a 21' Center Console with a single outboard and the PC34 is easier to dock than the 21' monohull. Yes, the PDQ is very wide (beamy) but with the locations of the engines, it actually makes it more maneuverable. This has been my first boat of this size and I have had no problems operating this boat in any conditions. As far as "Educating Yourselves" in boating (which is very smart :) ), take some Coast Guard Aux. classes in Boating Safety and Seamanship. Coastal Navagation classes are also helpful if cruising. And if you buy a new PDQ, take delivery from Whitby and participate in the flotilla. You'll get some good experience and training on your boat right from the start. Good luck in your quest.
S. Kramer MISHIGAS PC34
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

New to boating

Post by ELIXIR »

At PDQ U last May I was struck by the number of folks new to boating or who had smaller open boats before buying a PC34. They all seemed to take to the boat and had no real problems coming south from Canada.
Suggest you take a power squadron course or USCG aux. course on basics before getting your boat.